A 19-year-old man who has three felony juvenile cases pending was shot three times by a concealed carry holder after he opened fire on the man’s car in a McDonald’s parking lot Tuesday, prosecutors said. The victim, 49, and his 11-year-old daughter, who was in the back seat, were both unharmed.
Giovanni Castanon has carjacking, burglary, and aggravated battery cases pending in juvenile court, according to prosecutors. He is the 27th person accused of killing or shooting—or attempting to kill or shoot—someone in Chicago while on bail for a felony this year. The alleged crimes involved at least 58 victims, 12 of whom died.
Prosecutors said the concealed carry holder and his daughter were sitting in their car at McDonald’s on 106th Street near the Indiana state line when a masked man approached them and began yelling around 5:12 p.m.
The masked offender, identified by prosecutors as Castanon, pulled out a gun and fired several shots at the victim’s car, prompting the concealed carry holder to return fire.
Castanon fired more shots toward the car as he ran away, prosecutors said. Cops found him in a nearby residential garage with gunshot wounds to his hand, arm, and foot.
The entire incident was recorded by the restaurant’s security cameras.
Police found bullet holes on the victim’s passenger-side door, hood, and tire. However, neither the concealed carry holder nor the 11-year-old girl seated on the passenger side of the back seat were hurt.
Prosecutors said investigators never found the gun Castanon used to shoot at the victims.
Castanon is charged with aggravated assault by discharging a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle.
Suzin Farer, an assistant public defender, indicated that he works in demolition and is the father of a three-year-old child.
Bail was set at $300,000 with electronic monitoring by Judge Charles Beach, which means Castanon must post a $30,000 deposit to be released on house arrest.
Beach also ordered him to stay away from the concealed carry holder and the man’s daughter.
“I’m quite sure you don’t wanna have any contact with that individual anymore,” Beach surmised.
The “not horrible” series
This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings.
Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets.
Our editorial email address is firstname.lastname@example.org