A 17-year-old boy is charged with committing 11 armed carjackings in August, including nine in seven hours on August 20, according to Chicago police. A 16-year-old boy is charged with participating in some of them, too.
The older teen was one of the carjackers who targeted a 35-year-old woman in the 6600 block of South Albany on August 18 and a 49-year-old woman in the 8700 block of South Vincennes on August 30, police said.
But he is also charged with participating in nine more armed carjackings between midnight and 6:45 a.m. on August 20. That morning, according to CPD, the boy:
- Carjacked a 33-year-old woman in the 8000 block of South Campbell at 12:07 a.m.
- Carjacked a 58-year-old man in the 3400 blocks of West 72nd at 1:50 a.m.
- Carjacked a 21-year-old woman in the 2900 block of South Union at 2:45 a.m.
- Carjacked a 50-year-old man in the 6500 block of South Kedzie at 3:25 a.m.
- Carjacked a 26-year-old man in the 5600 block of South Albany at 4:30 a.m.
- Carjacked a 45-year-old woman in the 5700 block of South Richmond at 4:50 a.m.
- Carjacked a 40-year-old woman in the 8400 block of South Sangamon at 6:12 .m.
- Carjacked a 66-year-old woman in the 6600 block of South Artesian at 6:20 a.m.
- Carjacked a 33-year-old woman in the 6700 block of South Washtenaw at 6:45 a.m.
He is charged with 11 counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking while armed with a firearm and two felony counts of criminal damage to government property.
The younger boy is accused of participating in the carjackings on Kedzie, Richmond, and Washtenaw, as well as another in the 8600 block of South Halsted at 5:30 a.m. that morning. He is also charged with possessing the car taken from the woman on Union.
No further information is available about the teens or their criminal histories because they are juveniles.
CPD has taken 1,101 carjacking reports this year as of August 24, according to city records. That’s 7% higher than last year’s record-setting pace. The city had 756 carjacking cases during the period in 2020 and 338 as of August 24, 2019.