A 16-year old boy who was on probation for a juvenile gun case and awaiting trial for another juvenile gun case secured yet another gun and killed a man during a robbery attempt on Chicago’s North Side last month, prosecutors alleged Wednesday.
Daniel Barbosa is the 39th person accused of killing or shooting—or attempting to kill or shoot—someone in Chicago while awaiting trial for a felony this year. The alleged crimes involved at least 76 victims, 18 of whom died. One of Barbosa’s alleged accomplices, Alexsandro Hernandez, 18, was on bail for an adult gun case at the time.
Prosecutors said Barbosa agreed to sell a gun to the victim, 18-year-old Irving Ibarez, via Facebook for $400 on August 1. He told Ibarez to meet him at the intersection of Natchez and Dickens in Belmont Cragin at 7 p.m. to complete the transaction, and he promised to bring some free bullets for Mibrez, according to prosecutor Danny Hanichak.
But, according to Hanichak, it was all a ruse to allow Barbosa, Hernandez, and a third unidentified conspirator to rob Ibarez.
Surveillance video shows Barbosa getting into Ibarez’s front passenger seat at the meeting location and a white Nissan Murano with no license plates pulling up next to them four minutes later. Hernandez got out of the Murano’s passenger seat and approached Ibarez’s door with a gun in his hand, Hanichak said.
Ibarez, seeing Hernandez and the weapon he was holding, reversed his car. As he did, Barbosa shot him once in the chest from his front passenger seat, according to Hanichak.
Chicago police detectives compiled footage from surveillance cameras to track Murano’s movements before the shooting. It pulled into an AutoZone where Hernandez used to work about 25 minutes before the shooting. According to Hanichak, Hernandez went inside and bought masks and gloves while dressed in the same clothes he would wear at the shooting scene.
About ten minutes later, a camera at a different location recorded Barbosa getting out of the Murano and removing its license plates, Hanichak said.
Hanichak said Hernandez admitted to having “multiple guns” inside the Nissan and pointing a gun at Ibarez’s car during the botched robbery. He later dumped it in the lake, according to Hanichak.
Greg Smith, Barbosa’s private defense attorney, said he saw some of the video evidence and thought it would be “impossible” to identify any of the offenders because they were all wearing hats and surgical masks.
But Hanichak said Barbosa wore his mask below his nose at times, and someone who has known him for “several years” identified him by his hairstyle, nose, and other features.
A judge placed Barbosa on juvenile probation last year for a felony gun case. He picked up another juvenile gun charge in early 2022 and that case was still pending at the time of Ibarez’s murder, Hanchak said.
Barbosa is charged as an adult with first-degree murder and two counts of armed robbery. Judge Mary Marubio ordered him held without bail.
The “not horrible” series
This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings.
Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets.
Our editorial email address is email@example.com