Chicago police now believe at least two armed robbery crews are working the city’s North Side, Near West Side, and downtown areas, targeting victims from Lakeview to Wicker Park to Streeterville and beyond.
One group robbed four people in Wicker Park yesterday evening, including two tourists. The other group robbed four people in the West Loop on Monday night, including two more tourists outside their hotel.
CPD has publicly linked 22 robberies to the groups, but the offenders are likely responsible for even more crimes.
Robbery crew #1
The most recent robbery spree occurred in Wicker Park yesterday evening.
At around 6:58 p.m., three victims were walking through an alley in the 1700 block of West Ellen when three men arrived in a silver SUV, according to a CPD spokesperson. The robbers got out of the vehicle and robbed the victims—a 64-year-old man and women ages 26 and 28—at gunpoint. They took two phones and escaped in the SUV, which may be a Chevy Trailblazer.
Police gave two victims a ride back to their hotel in the Loop.
The same group robbed a woman in the 1200 block of North Wood just moments after that robbery, according to CPD.
Area Five detectives say the same crew is responsible for a series of robberies in Avondale and Logan Square on Monday morning.
Typically, the men point handguns at the victims’ faces or heads while demanding their valuables, according to CPD. The suspects are Black males between 18- and 20-years-old who stand 5’9″ or 5’10” tall, according to police. The men wear black or gray hoodies with black ski masks and carry handguns or rifles.
Detectives issued a community alert overnight that links the group to robberies at the following locations and times:
- 1300 Block of North Parkside Ave on August 22 at 1:40 p.m.
- 4700 Block of West Le Moyne Ave on August 22 at 1:46 p.m.
- 2000 Block of North Campbell Ave on September 4 at 8:10 p.m.
- 5900 Block of North Central Park Ave on September 4 at 8:40 p.m.
- 2000 Block of West Potomac Ave on September 4 at 9:05 p.m.
- 2800 Block of North Maplewood Ave on September 5 at 11:30 p.m.
- 2800 Block of North Campbell Ave on September 5 at 11:34 p.m.
- 1900 Block of North Spaulding Ave on September 5 at 11:50 p.m.
- 1700 Block of West Ellen St on September 6 at 6:58 p.m.
- 1200 Block of North Wood St on September 6 at 7:01 p.m.
Robbery crew #2
The second group of robbers’ operation strongly resembles the first crew’s, according to CPD. The offenders roll up on victims on the street and display handguns while demanding valuables. This team has been seen using a dark-colored four-door sedan, according to police. But the most recent victims said the robbers were using a white car, according to CPD reports.
They struck four times in the West Loop and River West on Monday evening:
- At 10:40 p.m., four men got out of a car with guns to rob a man and his friend in the 900 block of West Huron. The offenders demanded the victims’ phone codes, then escaped in a white car, possibly a Toyota Corolla.
- Around 11 p.m., the group robbed two hotel guests of their phones, shoes, and wallets, in the 300 block of North Morgan, according to a CPD report. They put guns to the back of the victims’ heads during the robbery and escaped in a white Toyota.
- Shortly after 11 p.m., the crew tried to rob a group of friends in the 900 block of West Van Buren. Most of the would-be victims ran away, but at least one victim was robbed of his phone and wallet.
CPD issued a separate community alert about this group on Tuesday. Detectives said the suspects are Black Males between 25- and 30-years-old who stand 5’6″ to 6’2″ tall and wear dark clothing with ski masks.
According to the alert, this group is responsible for robberies at the following locations and times:
- the first block of West Hubbard St., Monday, August 22, in the morning
- the first block of East Illinois St., Monday, August 29, in the evening
- 400 block of North Wells St., Monday, August 29 in the evening
- 300 block of North Green St., Tuesday, August 30 in the morning
- 4300 block of West Division St., Tuesday, August 30 in the morning
- 550 block of North Albany Ave, Friday, September 2 in the morning
- 2300 block of West Taylor St., Sunday, September 4 in the afternoon
- 2900 block of North Seeley, Sunday, September 4 in the afternoon
- 2300 block of West Congress Parkway, Sunday, September 4, in the
- 900 block of West Huron St, Monday, September 4 in the evening
- 900 block of West Van Buren St, September 4 in the evening
- 300 block of North Morgan St, September 4 in the evening