Why is this guy out of prison? Man who served just 9 months of a 30 month sentence for having a gun on the Red Line allegedly had another gun on the Red Line this weekend

Marvin Floyd and the gun police say they recovered from his waistband at the Sox-35th Red Line station. | CPD

A man on parole for stashing a handgun on the Grand Red Line platform last summer is back in custody after allegedly threatening a CTA security guard by racking the slide of a loaded gun on the Red Line yesterday afternoon.

In addition to being on parole, Marvin Floyd, 31, is also on felony bond for allegedly selling crack to undercover cops in River North this summer. And, incredibly, he served just 9 months of his sentence on last year’s gun case because the state gave him extra credit toward his punishment.

Prosecutors said a uniformed CTA security officer asked Floyd to stop drinking and smoking at the Sox-35th station around 3:35 p.m. Sunday. Floyd allegedly had a different idea.

Officials said that he took a loaded handgun equipped with an extended magazine out of his waistband, racked the slide, and put it back into his pants. The security guard summoned the police.

Prosecutors said that when cops arrived, the guard pointed directly at Floyd, who had fallen asleep on an inbound train car. Officers handcuffed him before removing the loaded handgun from his waistband. The so-called “ghost gun” weapon had no serial number.

He is charged with Class X armed habitual criminal.

Last June, witnesses told police who responded to a fight at the Grand Red Line station that they saw Floyd put a gun under a traffic cone on the southbound platform. Cops recovered the gun from under the cone and arrested Floyd nearby. CTA surveillance video footage showed him hiding the weapon.

Floyd was on probation and a misdemeanor bail bond at the time, prompting Judge John Lyke to opine, “He’s been way busy out here. Way busy. It’s time to sit down a little bit.”

In December, Floyd pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and received a 2½-year sentence from Judge Lauren Edidin. State records show he was released from prison on March 9, 2022, just nine months after he was arrested.

According to state records, Floyd received “Earned Discretionary Sentence Credit,” which allowed him to be released after serving a fraction of his sentence.

On August 5, prosecutors charged Floyd with two felony narcotics charges for allegedly selling crack cocaine to undercover cops in a River North nightlife area twice in July.

Even though he was on parole for being a felon in possession of a firearm, the Illinois Department of Corrections did not revoke his parole status, court records show. He was released after posting a $100 bail deposit.

On Monday, Judge Mary Marubio ordered Floyd held without bail on the new charges. She also held him without bail for violating the conditions of bail in the narcotics case and held without bail until IDOC decides if it wants to revoke his parole this time.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6873 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com