Chicago police on Monday night released CTA surveillance images of the man that investigators believe tried to kidnap a woman in the West Loop on Sunday morning.
The photos, taken at the Jackson Red Line station in the Loop at 8:56 a.m., about 11 minutes after the attack, are of a bald man between 30- and 40-years-old who stands 5’8″ to 6 feet tall, according to CPD.
During a press conference earlier Monday, a police official said the department had found no connections between Sunday’s incident and a similar abduction attempt on the same block last month. Among the differences, police said, are that Sunday’s attack involved one man while the August attempt involved three people.
At around 8:45 a.m. Sunday, a 45-year-old woman was walking southbound in the 200 block of South Sangamon when a man stepped out of a parked minivan and grabbed her by both arms, police said. He tried to drag the woman into a minivan, which police recovered later in the day.
As a rideshare passenger confronted the assailant, the woman screamed and fought him off, according to police.
The suspect returned to the minivan, drove around the rideshare driver’s car, and sped away. That portion of the incident was captured on a video shared on the True West Loop Facebook page.
Anyone with information about the crime should call Area Three detectives at 312-744-8261 and reference case #JF-409840. Anonymous tips can also be submitted online at cpdtip.com.