Charges filed in weekend murder outside Loop nightclub

Devontrell Turnipseed | CPD

Prosecutors have filed charges against a Near North Side man in connection with Sunday’s fatal shooting outside a downtown Chicago nightclub.

Devontrell Turnipseed, 23, will appear in bond court Tuesday on one count of first-degree murder, according to CPD.

Authorities said Turnipseed shot and killed 38-year-old Artemis Harris following a fight in the 400 block of South Wells at 1:36 a.m.

The two men were fighting when Turnipseed pulled out a gun and shot Harris in the chest, officials said. Chicago police arrested Turnipseed at the scene. Investigators also recovered at least one firearm during their investigation.

Sunday’s shooting occurred outside Per.so.na nightclub, 408 South Wells.

Some Loop residents have blamed the nightclub’s patrons for recent shootings and other disturbances in the area. The business is listed as “closed permanently” on Google, and its website displays an “account expired” notice. But other online listings promote late-night events at the venue, describing the club as “newly reopened.”

On August 9, Rubén Franco, director of legislative affairs for Ald. Byron Sigcho-Lopez (25th) told residents in an email that the club had “voluntarily” closed following discussions with the local police commander in the wake of a recent shooting.

Franco stated that the club had severed ties with a promoter who held events at the bar.

“The owners will adapt their plan of operations and change the business model,” Franco said in the August 9 email.

The voluntary closure followed a triple-shooting that left two men dead in a parking lot at 430 South Clark, one block east of the club. But nine other people have been shot this year on the same block where the club is located:

Chicago police have not announced any charges in connection with the previous shootings.

There have been 35 persons shot in the Loop so far this year, up from 25 at this point last year, 16 as of this date in 2020 and two at this point in 2019, according to city records.

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6676 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com