Man is charged with participating in a violent armed robbery on a CTA train downtown

Ernesto Delgado (inset) and a CTA surveillance image of one of the robbery suspects. | CPD

A man from Chicago has been charged with taking part in a violent armed robbery last month on a CTA train in the Loop. And prosecutors say he was carrying a handgun when police arrested him Sunday in the Loop.

Chicago police released surveillance images of three suspects after the September 5 robbery aboard an Orange Line train near State-Van Buren, and prosecutors say Ernesto Delgado, 23, is one of them.

The 36-year-old victim was riding the L around 12:30 a.m. when the three men walked up, and Delgado asked one of his accomplices if they were ready, prosecutors said. Then, Delgado allegedly took the victim’s backpack, searched his waistband, and asked for his phone.

But the victim refused to hand over his phone, and one of the other accomplices flashed a gun. When the victim tried to get away, all three robbers punched him in the head and body and ordered him to sit down or they’d kill him, prosecutors said.

The robber who had the gun took it out again, but the third offender told him to put it away, and the trio fled at the State-Van Buren station.

Prosecutors said the crew got away with a radio and AirPods that the man used for work.

Chicago police were looking for these suspects in connection with a robbery on the Orange Line downtown. | CPD

After CPD released the CTA surveillance images to the public, investigators identified Delgado as a suspect. Officers located Delgado on Sunday in the 900 block of South State. They found a loaded and defaced firearm in his waistband when they took him into custody, prosecutors said.

He is charged with robbery, unlawful use of a weapon, and possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number.

According to his public defender, he has been working in retail for about a month.

Judge Barbara Dawkins ordered him to pay an $8,000 deposit toward bail to go home on electronic monitoring.

The other two suspects remain at large.

Would you please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription?

About CWBChicago 6765 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com