Gun charge, but nothing more, for man who allegedly shot a CTA bus passenger while killing another man in ‘self-defense’

Chicago police say they know who fatally shot a man outside a South Side liquor store and shot a woman who was sitting on a nearby CTA bus in December. But prosecutors refused to charge the suspect with shooting either person due to “self-defense,” according to court records and the man’s defense attorney.

Instead, Juan Ferba, 26, is charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm — the gun officials say video footage shows him using to shoot both people.

Juan Ferba and the shooting location. | Cook County sheriff’s office; Google

Chicago police arrested Ferba on Tuesday with plans to charge him with murder and attempted murder, according to a CPD arrest report. But a prosecutor in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office “rejected the first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder charge for self-defense,” a police supervisor wrote in the report.

During a bail hearing on the gun charge on Wednesday, prosecutors said surveillance video showed Ferba, a witness, and the man who would be killed, Kristopher Willett, arriving at a liquor store near 79th Street and Cottage Grove around 3:09 p.m. on December 7.

As Willett exited Happy Food and Liquor, Ferba appeared to make a comment to Willett and then drew a gun, prosecutors said. Willett pulled out a firearm simultaneously, and, with video cameras recording, Ferba fired between 14 and 19 shots, striking Willett in the head three times, prosecutors said during the hearing.

A 21-year-old woman seated inside a nearby CTA bus was shot in her hand, officials said. Video aired by ABC7 on the night of the shooting showed at least four bullet holes in the bus windows.

But Ferba’s defense attorney reminded Judge Susana Ortiz that the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office refused to charge him with any wrongdoing related to the shooting allegations.

“They allege he had a firearm, but there’s no indication it was ever found in his possession,” the lawyer argued.

After confirming that Ferba was not facing any charges other than gun possession, Judge Susana Ortiz ordered him to pay a $1,000 bail deposit to go home on electronic monitoring. He is due in court again on January 18.

Original reporting that you’ll see nowhere else. CWB’s work is 100% paid for by our subscribers.

About CWBChicago 6689 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com