Prolific armed robbery team held up former Chicago cop at gunpoint, prosecutors say

Chicago — Three men recently charged with committing four armed robberies on the north and near west sides in December are now accused of robbing a former Chicago police officer during yet another hold-up on December 11.

Dashun McGraw, 19, and 21-year-olds Marquise Green and Marchello Hicks were each charged with an additional count of armed robbery with a firearm on Tuesday.

Prosecutors said the former cop saw all three men and an unidentified fourth person arguing with a woman as he left a laundromat in the 1100 block of West 31st Street around 8:16 a.m. on December 11.

From left: Marquise Green, Marchello Hicks, and Dashun McGraw. | Chicago Police Department

Hicks and McGraw ran up to the 57-year-old man, and McGraw held a firearm to the victim’s face while searching his pockets for valuables, Assistant State’s Attorney Sarah Dale-Schmidt said. Hicks also held a “rifle-like gun” to the ex-cop’s side.

Green, who held a similar weapon, allegedly told the others they should shoot the man because he saw what they looked like.

After getting the man’s wallet, the trio fled in two nearby cars, Dale-Schmidt said.

The next day, December 12, the crew allegedly committed armed robberies in the 2400 block of West Berwyn and the 4300 block of North Leavitt around 3:15 a.m. and in the 2100 block of North Claremont and the 4100 block of North Wolcott around 10:30 a.m.

Prosecutor Sarah Dale-Schmidt said the four robberies followed the same playbook. The crew boxed in someone sitting in a parked car, swarmed the victim with guns drawn, and took property.

She said three of the victims were warming up their cars as they prepared to go to work. The fourth had just parked when the crew spotted them.

Police recovered proceeds from most of the victims, and video cameras recorded all or parts of three robberies, Dale-Schmidt said.

Chicago police located the crew’s stolen Hyundai Santa Fe shortly after the Wolcott robbery. Officials said it crashed into a city-owned truck in Lincoln Square and burst into flames while police were nearby.

According to Dale-Schmidt, at least one person in the area provided police with surveillance footage that helped cops locate the crew inside a garage in the 5100 block of North Oakley. The officers found two guns in the garage and another inside a nearby garbage can.

All the men have been in Cook County jail since being held without bail during court hearings in December. On Tuesday, Judge William Fahy also ordered them held without bail for the latest allegations.

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6547 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is