CHICAGO — A group of armed robbers committed ten holdups in 30 minutes today on the West and Northwest Sides, according to Chicago police. At least one of the terrifying robberies was caught on video.
In a community alert issued Sunday evening, CPD said four men committed all the crimes. Wearing ski masks and black hoodies, they bolted from one victim to the next in a gray Hyundai Elantra.
“They robbed my dad at gunpoint and he was severely assaulted,” a relative of one victim wrote on the Belmont Cragin United Facebook page. Chicago police confirmed that the robbers physically attacked the 58-year-old man. The Facebook user shared a video of the armed robbery.
It shows the Elantra rolling up and stopping next to the victim’s white work van in the 4300 block of West Dickens around 7:38 a.m. Watch:
Three men jump out with guns extended, aimed right at the victim. They open his driver’s door, take him off-camera, and beat him. After getting his property, they returned to the Elantra and sped away. The crew robbed at least three more victims in the next 12 minutes, according to Chicago police.
CPD said the same group committed similar robberies in the following locations, targeting victims who were either on the sidewalk or parking vehicles:
- the 3900 block of West North Avenue in Humboldt Park at 7:20 a.m.
- the 3900 block of West Le Moyne in Humboldt Park at 7:30 a.m.
- the 1800 block of North Kedvale in Hermosa at 7:32 a.m.
- the 4100 block of West Wabansia in Hermosa at 7:34 a.m.
- the 4400 block of West Palmer in Hermosa at 7:35 a.m. and again at 7:37 a.m.
- the 4300 block of West Dickens in Hermosa (video above) at 7:38 a.m.
- the 2200 block of North Kenneth in Hermosa at 7:40 a.m.
- the 1700 block of North Pulaski in Hermosa at 7:41 a.m.
- the 4100 block of West Palmer in Hermosa at 7:50 a.m.
The police alert said the robbers are Black males between 18 and 25 years old.
Anyone with information about them can contact Area Five detectives at 312-746-7394 regarding crime pattern P23-5-037.