CHICAGO — A man was shot during a robbery attempt in the South Loop on Friday afternoon, according to a Chicago police report.
The 34-year-old was in the 2200 block of South Michigan when the offender tried to take his watch around 4:17 p.m. During the altercation, the offender fired a shot, striking the victim in the left leg.
Officers at the scene said the gunman fled in a burgundy Porsche that headed east on Cermak Road after the shooting. The victim was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition.
Other shootings in the South Loop this year include:
- A 45-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man died in a murder-suicide in their apartment on the 2000 block of South Indiana on January 9. The medical examiner’s office said the woman’s death was a homicide and the man’s was suicide.
- A 27-year-old man was shot during a robbery attempt inside an apartment in the 1300 block of South Wabash on February 15. Police said several people were inside the unit when someone tried to rob the victim, pulled out a gun, and shot him in the neck. A SWAT team and district patrol officers searched the building for the gunman but came up empty-handed. No arrests have been announced.
- An off-duty Cook County correctional officer was among two people shot outside a nightclub in the first block of East Cermak on February 27. The 31-year-old male officer was with a 27-year-old companion on the sidewalk when the gunman shot at them from a dark-colored pickup truck on the opposite side of the road, police said.
- A 21-year-old man was shot and critically injured during a robbery attempt in the 2300 block of South Wabash early on March 12. Residents in the area said a man knocked on their doors and rang their doorbells, asking for help after being shot. He told officers the offender shot him, took his phone, and fled in the red car.
- Two 18-year-old men were shot, one fatally, as they sat in a car in the 1900 block of South State on the afternoon of April 27. A stolen white Kia rolled up to them around 3:31 p.m., and someone inside the Kia fired shots at them, police said. Both victims were students at a nearby high school. Chicago police officers found the Kia abandoned near Cermak Road and State Street a few minutes later. A witness saw four males run from the Kia, and early indications are they escaped the area on a CTA train. No arrests have been announced.