2 men helped juvenile ‘Kia Boys’ pull off 45-minute robbery spree, officials say

CHICAGO — Two men were ordered held without bail on Thursday afternoon, accused of participating in a 45-minute robbery spree with 14- and 15-year-old boys this week.

After committing up to 12 armed robberies, they crashed their stolen Kia on the Eisenhower Expressway and tried to run from Illinois State Police troopers and Chicago police, officials said.

Jamar McKay and Marion Cotton, both 18, are each charged with five counts of armed robbery with a firearm, four counts of attempted armed robbery with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and misdemeanor counts of resisting and criminal trespass to a vehicle.

They are accused of helping the juveniles rob two tourists in the 1100 block of West Chicago Avenue around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. The crew took property from the 39-year-old man and his 41-year-old female companion, officials said. Cotton and McKay both hit the woman in the head with handguns, according to the state’s criminal complaints.

Other robberies were reported in the 600 block of West Cabrini, the 1100 block of South Canal, the 1100 block of West Taylor, the 2400 block of South Canal, the 1200 block of North Milwaukee, and the 2500 block of South Halsted.

Shortly after the robbery on Milwaukee, a state trooper spotted the stolen Kia, which Chicago police had linked to the robbery spree. Officials said the Kia sped away from the trooper and crashed on the Eisenhower Expressway near Morgan.

Marion Cotton (L) and Jamar McKay | Cook County sheriff’s office

McKay and Cotton ran from the car, dashed across all of the expressway traffic lanes, and bolted down the CTA tracks, according to a CPD arrest report. Both men eventually surrendered.

The stolen Kia had a broken rear passenger window and was being operated with a USB plug in its ignition, the CPD report said. The broken window and USB plug are typical of the “Kia Boy” auto theft technique that has plagued the country.

Judge David Kelly held both men without bail at the state’s request.

The 14-year-old was charged on Wednesday with 12 counts of armed robbery with a firearm. Details about what charges have been filed against the 15-year-old were not available.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6331 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com