$15,000 reward for info about shooting that left young mother dead at 31st Street Beach in 2020

CHICAGO — It has been three years since a gunman killed Quentella Smith and injured two others at 31st Street Beach. No one has been charged. But Cook County Crime Stoppers hopes to change that by offering a cash reward for information that helps cops crack the case.

Smith, 34, was out early, celebrating her sister’s 30th birthday on the Fourth of July 2020, when six people walked up to them. Two of the six pulled out guns and started shooting, according to Crime Stoppers.

Smith died at the scene. Two men who were with her, ages 26 and 32, survived.

“If only you could have seen the joy on Quentella’s face whenever she spoke of her children,” a loved one wrote on GoFundMe shortly after her death. “Her children were her world. Every pregnancy was met with the same amount of love and delightful anticipation. Quentella proudly embraced her children and poured so much love into them.”

“Their whole world changed the morning of July 4th when their loving, nurturing mother was gunned down while doing what she does best…showing love to her sister for her 30th birthday and cleaning up the debris from the fireworks show she organized for her celebration.”

Smith’s nine children are being raised by their grandmother, Delores Smith-Scott. The youngest is three years old.

Quentella Smith and her family | GoFundMe

“My daughter was innocent. She didn’t deserve to be shot that many times,” Scott told NBC5 earlier this month. “I just want justice for my daughter.”

The station reported that five of Scott’s children are in therapy to help them cope with the loss of their mother.

Until September 4, Crime Stoppers is offering up to $15,000 cash for information that leads to the indictment or arrest of whoever is responsible for Smith’s death.

Tips can be shared at 800-535-STOP or TIPS@cookcountycrimestoppers.org

The organization said tipsters do not need to leave their names. Callers will be given a unique code number.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6563 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com