CHICAGO — Illinois State Police troopers chased an armed robbery crew after at least 13 people were targeted during an overnight spree in downtown Chicago and on the Near West Side.
No arrests have been announced, but cops said they found an AK-47 in the car after the group bailed out. A handgun and a couple of phones were also found.
Wednesday’s spree involved one or two carloads of robbers who jumped out to mug people on the street, often while victims stood outside bars and other late-night businesses. The same scenario has played out hundreds of times in recent months and weeks as Chicago police have failed to get a handle on the robbery surge.
CPD said two men, ages 18 and 26, were robbed while walking in the 1600 block of West Chicago Avenue around 12:53 a.m. Wednesday. Four men exited a gray sedan and robbed them of phones and cash at gunpoint.
The gray car, determined to be an Infiniti sedan, would later be involved in the state police chase.
The same car was used to rob a 52-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman in the 1800 block of West Chicago Avenue around 1 a.m.
Police said the robbers got away with the woman’s purse. The men also pistol-whipped the male victim but didn’t get anything from him.
CWBChicago learned that a second man reported being robbed at the same location after returning to his Lakeview home.
About five minutes later, the group tried to rob two men in the 2800 block of West Chicago Avenue, according to CPD. But those victims, ages 36 and 29, got away without losing anything to the robbers.
Robberies started popping up downtown a short time later.
Around 1:13 a.m., up to eight men emerged from two gray sedans to rob two men at gunpoint in the 800 block of North Orleans.
Two more robberies were soon reported near White Palace Grill, 1159 South Canal, and a nearby bank.
State troopers spotted one of the gray sedans on an expressway around 2:40 a.m. and immediately pursued the vehicle. The chase wound on and off the expressway system for nearly an hour before three men bailed from the 2018 Infiniti near Washtenaw and Flournoy.
Cops chased the men, but CPD said overnight that no arrests had been made. Officers involved in the pursuit said two suspects were Black men, one wearing a black hoodie and the other wearing a tan hoodie.
While the robbery sprees have been happening for months, here is some of our more recent coverage:
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)