CHICAGO — There are some indications that the prolific robbery crews that have been ripping across Chicago in near-daily holdup sprees are changing up their game.
On Thursday night, a crew hit several times in Roscoe Village, North Center, and Ravenswood, neighborhoods that the robbery teams have not focused on in the past.
There were also a handful of one-off robberies throughout Thursday and Friday that fit the style of the robbery crews without turning into a string of successive crimes.
The one spree that did break out on Thursday began with the mugging of a 63-year-old woman in the 2100 block of West Grace in North Center at 11:35 p.m.
Police said a white sedan pulled up, two men got out of the car with rifles, and took her property.
They pulled off a similar robbery six minutes later in the 3400 block of North Leavitt in Roscoe Village. Police said a 42-year-old man was targeted there.
At 11:43, the same scenario unfolded in the 1700 block of West Berteau, police said. The victim was a 61-year-old man.
Finally, around 11:53 p.m., two people standing outside Four Moon Tavern, 1847 West Roscoe, were robbed. Police said a white sedan pulled up and two men got out—one with a rifle and the other with a handgun. The victims, a 43-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman, were not injured.
Most of the victims described the robbers as slender, young Black males who stood 5’6″ to 5’8″ tall. They wore ski masks and dark clothing.
Other holdups that occurred from Thursday night to Friday morning include:
- The robbery of a man in the 4400 block of North Sawyer by a gunman who exited a black vehicle around 9 p.m.
- A man was punched and robbed by three men who got out of a silver Mitsubishi SUV in the 700 block of South Clinton around 10:15 p.m. The SUV, which had been carjacked at gunpoint earlier, was found abandoned about 90 minutes later in the 1900 block of South Drake.
- A woman was surrounded by four armed men who took her property near Orchard and North Avenue in Lincoln Park shortly after 11 p.m.
- A woman was robbed of her keys, phone, and wallet in the 5000 block of North Wolcott around 11:10 p.m. The robbers, who covered the woman’s mouth and threatened to kill her, also took the woman’s Subaru Forester, which was recovered in the 5600 block of West Grand on Friday morning.
- Four people robbed a man in the 2300 block of West Chicago Avenue around 12:05 a.m. Friday. The victim believed one robber was a woman who brandished a handgun, and the other three were men, including one who had a rifle, a CPD report said. They were masked and escaped in a silver SUV with a broken rear side window.
- A woman was robbed near the corner of May and Randolph in the West Loop around 10:35 a.m. Friday. The robbers escaped in a white Honda SUV that had been carjacked on the West Side on Thursday.
The robbery sprees have been happening for months. Here is some of our more recent coverage:
- Chicago cops watch armed robbery in progress, but supervisor orders them NOT to chase the criminals; at least 11 people robbed in overnight spree (August 16, 2023)
- Armed men rob at least 11 people in 2-hour crime spree, Chicago police say (August 13, 2023)
- 3 suspects detained after Thursday afternoon robbery sprees in Logan Square, West Side (August 11, 2023)
- 2 robbed, 1 shot in about 20 minutes overnight (August 10, 2023)
- At least 13 people robbed in overnight spree; Troopers chase suspects, seize AK-47, but no arrests announced (August 9, 2023)
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)