CHICAGO — After enduring months of persistent robbery sprees that claimed hundreds of victims in Chicago, there is finally some good news to report. But there’s more bad news, too.
Let’s start with the good stuff. A specialized group of Chicago police officers arrested a four-person robbery crew early Saturday morning and recovered a significant amount of evidence and weapons.
CPD has not announced charges, but we have learned that an undercover police unit trailed the suspects and saw the group commit robberies and withdraw victims’ cash from ATMs.
Cops recovered four weapons, including at least one rifle, car keys, key fobs, a fob programmer, and other evidence after the arrests, according to a source who believes the crew is responsible for dozens of armed robberies.
We’ll stay on the story and report back if prosecutors approve charges.
The not-so-good news is that at least two more armed robbery crews are still on the loose. They hit hard, executing two crime waves, one in the morning and the other in the late afternoon and evening.
One of the crews was bold enough to commit two robberies at the same West Town carwash, CPD reports show.
They robbed one man at the Grand & Oakley Car Wash, 2300 West Grand, a little before 7 a.m. Displaying three firearms, including a rifle and a TEC-9 style firearm, the group fled in a blue SUV.
Three more people were robbed at the same location about 12 hours later during the evening spree. A CPD report said four or five masked men displayed guns, including one that appeared to be a TEC-9 or Uzi, around 6:57 p.m. Two of the victims ran away before the police arrived.
Most of the morning robberies involved a group of young masked men traveling in that blue SUV, according to information shared with CWBChicago:
- A man was robbed while loading his car near Monroe and Leavitt around 6:50 a.m.
- Another man was targeted in the 2500 block of West Huron around 7 a.m.
- A third man was robbed in the 2600 block of West Iowa around the same time.
The evening spree got off to an interesting start around 4:20 p.m. when a group of armed and masked men came face-to-face with a business owner who was also armed in the 1100 block of North Western Avenue, a report said. They jumped into a gray car and sped away.
An officer at the scene said the group consisted of three Black men in their late teens. One wore a navy shirt and jeans with a black hoodie. Another wore a white t-shirt with a black hoodie. The third wore a gray hoodie. A fourth person served as their driver.
About ten minutes later, an off-duty police officer disrupted an apparent robbery attempt near Leavitt and Webster in Bucktown. He chased the crew, one of whom had a rifle, but they got away in a gray sedan.
More armed robberies followed, most involving masked men in a gray sedan who displayed guns, often including a rifle.
Four victims were targeted in an alley between the 2300 blocks of Lowell and Kildare in Hermosa around 4:45 p.m. Another group was robbed in the 2100 block of South Halsted about 30 minutes later. The offenders pistol-whipped a man during that crime.
In Logan Square, a man was robbed as he unloaded his car in the 2300 block of North Ridgeway around 5:40 p.m.
Three more men were robbed in the neighborhood at about 7:21 p.m. Police said they were standing outside when a gray sedan stopped next to them and four robbers got out displaying handguns.
Robbery reports are up 22% this year, according to CPD’s latest statistics report. But some areas, particularly Humboldt Park, West Town, and Logan Square, have been especially hard-hit.
In the Austin (25th) District, which includes the west side of Humboldt Park, robberies are up 107% this year. For the 28 days ending Monday, robberies were 322% higher than the same period last year.
The Shakespeare (14th) District, which includes the eastern part of Humboldt Park and Logan Square, West Town, Bucktown, Wicker Park, and parts of Avondale, is seeing a 49% increase in robberies this year. The last 28 days were 190% higher than last year.
Robberies are up 54% this year in CPD’s Near West (12th) District, which includes parts of West Town and the Near West Side, much of the West Loop, Fulton Market, and Pilsen.
Holdup sprees have been happening on an almost daily basis for months. Here is some of our more recent coverage:
- Shot fired during Wicker Park robbery as holdup sprees continue (August 24, 2023)
- At least 23 armed robberies reported Sunday as Chicago cops again see a robbery in progress, but don’t chase the offenders (August 21, 2023)
- The armed holdups keep happening, but the robbers may be changing the script (August 18, 2023)
- Chicago cops watch armed robbery in progress, but supervisor orders them NOT to chase the criminals; at least 11 people robbed in overnight spree (August 16, 2023)
- Armed men rob at least 11 people in 2-hour crime spree, Chicago police say (August 13, 2023)
- 3 suspects detained after Thursday afternoon robbery sprees in Logan Square, West Side (August 11, 2023)
- 2 robbed, 1 shot in about 20 minutes overnight (August 10, 2023)
- At least 13 people robbed in overnight spree; Troopers chase suspects, seize AK-47, but no arrests announced (August 9, 2023)
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)