CHICAGO — A man is recovering after someone shot him during an argument inside a Wicker Park bar on Sunday morning, Chicago police said.
Officially, a CPD media statement said the 26-year-old victim was in a “verbal altercation with an unknown offender in a business who produced a handgun and fired shots at the victim” around 1:10 a.m.
EMS took the victim to Stroger Hospital in good condition with a gunshot wound to his left arm.
Witnesses saw police going in and out of Debonair Social Club, 1575 North Milwaukee, as the investigation was underway. After the shooting, a large fight broke out outside the bar, but police quickly dispersed the crowd.
CPD did not release a suspect description.
Sunday’s victim is the fifth person shot in Wicker Park and Bucktown this year. Three of this year’s victims were shot during robberies.
- A man was shot during a carjacking attempt in the 2000 block of North Hoyne on Monday evening.
- On July 14, armed robbers entered Bucktown Food & Liquor, 1950 North Milwaukee, and ordered everyone to surrender their wallets. The men shot a store employee during the holdup.
- On June 19, a man was shot while standing next to his vehicle in the 1700 block of North Damen. That crime was caught on video.
Since 2021, 10 of the 26 people shot in Wicker Park and Bucktown were shot in the 1500 block of North Milwaukee:
- Three people were shot near Milwaukee and Honore around 2 a.m. on December 31. Within hours of the shooting, the city summarily closed DSTRKT Bar & Grill, 1540 North Milwaukee. Investigators found shell casings in an alley behind the bar, and police believe the shooting may have followed an argument between patrons of the establishment, according to a law enforcement source. The bar has since re-opened.
- On February 6, 2022, a man was shot inside The Point, 1565 North Milwaukee, by a gunman who fired into the bar from outside. Charges were later filed in the case. The city forced The Point to close after the shooting.
- In October 2021, five people were shot, one fatally, in an exchange of gunfire outside The Point that was captured on video. Prosecutors said the shootout involved four gunmen, one of whom died.