CHICAGO — It wouldn’t be a new day in Chicago if we weren’t here to tell you about all of the robberies that have occurred on the Near West Side since yesterday’s sunrise.
The victims in today’s update include an off-duty Chicago police detective, a high school repair contractor, three bicyclists who were targeted during an overnight spree, and a concealed carry holder who was shot at during a carjacking attempt.
Not bad for a weekday.
One robbery spree began around 6 a.m. Monday outside Chicago Bulls College Prep, 2040 West Adams.
A contractor was targeted as he unloaded tools to perform work at the school when a four-door sedan pulled up. Two men got out and took his tools.
Other robberies were soon reported in the 2100 block of South Leavitt, the 2100 block of South Western, and near Damen and Western.
An afternoon holdup spree began with an armed carjacking in the 600 block of North Wolcott around 4:45 p.m.
Another robbery occurred in the 1300 block of North Springfield about 30 minutes later.
Around the same time, an off-duty Chicago police detective was robbed at gunpoint in the 1000 block of North Trumbull, according to a CPD report. Three robbers confronted her on the street and robbed her of her bag.
Around 11:14 p.m. Monday, a gray car rolled up as a 33-year-old man was parking in the 1000 block of North Hermitage. Three people got out of the sedan with handguns, prompting the victim to flee the scene, a CPD spokesperson said.
The gunmen began shooting at the victim, but he escaped injury. His car was recovered at the scene, albeit with a flat tire. An individual familiar with the situation told CWBChicago that the victim is a concealed carry holder. He had his weapon at the time of the incident but decided to run rather than stop and try to return fire at two gunmen.
Then, an overnight spree began around 1 a.m. in the 2000 block of West Superior. Police said a 30-year-old woman was riding a bike when a car cut her off and forced her from the street. Three masked men got out of the car, robbed her at gunpoint of her phone and bag, then fled the scene. CPD said the woman suffered a “minor injury” but did not elaborate.
About five minutes later, three men exited a silver sedan to rob a 36-year-old man as he walked in the 1900 block of West Chicago Avenue. They pistol-whipped him, went through his pockets, and took his phone.
Another bicyclist was robbed at 1:49 a.m. in the 3000 block of West Armitage. A silver sedan forced the 32-year-old man off the road and three men emerged from the car to rob the bicyclist, police said.
A second bicyclist was targeted in exactly the same way on the same block at 1:58 a.m., according to a CPD media statement. That victim was a 30-year-old man, police said.
Finally, around 2:30 a.m., three men exited a silver sedan to rob a 53-year-old man as he walked in the 1500 block of North Milwaukee. Police said the robbers took his phone and wallet, then fled in the vehicle.
Back on July 21, Ald. Daniel La Spata (1st) told constituents in his weekly newsletter that Chicago police had hatched a “concrete and collaborative” plan to end the seemingly endless robbery sprees. But, while police have made a handful of arrests, CPD supervisors have also repeatedly ordered cops not to engage with carloads of armed robbers that are within their sight.
Late last week, La Spata told his constituents, “We will not see lasting results without addressing the root causes of violence with immediate and long-term investments.”
While the robbery sprees have been happening for months, here is some of our more recent coverage:
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)