CHICAGO — Surveillance video from a Logan Square business is providing some of the clearest images yet of an armed robbery crew that has been running wild in Chicago. The pictures are taken from footage recorded at Illinois Auto Repair, one of several stops the robbers made on Saturday.
Chicago police said three men were robbed during a holdup at a business in the 2300 block of North St. Louis around 7:21 p.m. While CPD didn’t name the business, we confirmed it was Illinois Auto Repair at 2351 North St. Louis.
Four males, all displaying handguns, got out of a passing car to rob the victims of their valuables, the CPD media statement said.
The video images provided to CWBChicago show two men running to the business’s door as other men stand near SUVs apparently undergoing repairs.
Those first two robbers cornered a victim in the doorway at gunpoint. A third man soon joins them. Like the others, he is wearing a hoodie over his head and a ski mask or balaclava on his face.
One of the robbers peels off and pats down another victim standing by the SUVs.
A final image shows the getaway car that the group used on Saturday. Take a look at the pix:
The group is suspected of committing several other robberies late Saturday afternoon into the evening. Police suspected that a second crew was operating a little to the south around the same time because so many robberies were being reported that it seemed unlikely that one car could be traveling from place to place quickly enough to be involved in them all.
Update: We have now received video of the robbery seen above. See here.
Earlier Saturday, an undercover Chicago police unit busted a four-person armed robbery crew, according to a source. We’ve been told the specialized team trailed the suspects and saw them commit robberies and withdraw victims’ cash from ATMs.
Cops recovered four weapons, including at least one rifle, car keys, key fobs, a fob programmer, and other evidence after the arrests, according to a source who believes the crew is responsible for dozens of armed robberies.
So far, CPD has not publicly announced charges against the group.
Holdup sprees have been happening on an almost daily basis for months. Here is some of our more recent coverage:
- Good news: Chicago cops have captured a prolific armed robbery crew, but at least 2 more are still on the job (August 27, 2023)
- Shot fired during Wicker Park robbery as holdup sprees continue (August 24, 2023)
- At least 23 armed robberies reported Sunday as Chicago cops again see a robbery in progress, but don’t chase the offenders (August 21, 2023)
- The armed holdups keep happening, but the robbers may be changing the script (August 18, 2023)
- Chicago cops watch armed robbery in progress, but supervisor orders them NOT to chase the criminals; at least 11 people robbed in overnight spree (August 16, 2023)
- Armed men rob at least 11 people in 2-hour crime spree, Chicago police say (August 13, 2023)
- 3 suspects detained after Thursday afternoon robbery sprees in Logan Square, West Side (August 11, 2023)
- 2 robbed, 1 shot in about 20 minutes overnight (August 10, 2023)
- At least 13 people robbed in overnight spree; Troopers chase suspects, seize AK-47, but no arrests announced (August 9, 2023)
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)