Chicago man who carjacked driver while on parole for carjacking gets a new 10-year sentence

Alfredo Gutierrez pleaded guilty to carjacking a driver outside Dunkin’ near Wilson and Broadway in Uptown. | CPD; Google

CHICAGO — A four-time convicted felon who carjacked a driver in Uptown last year while on parole for another carjacking case has been sentenced to ten years.

Alfredo Gutierrez, 34, pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular hijacking of a senior citizen in exchange for the sentence from Judge Ursula Walowski. That brings his felony conviction total to five.

“Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!” Gutierrez allegedly barked in Spanish as he hijacked the driver outside Dunkin’, 4559 North Broadway, in Uptown last September.

The 60-year-old driver handed Gutierrez some change from inside his 2011 Mitsubishi truck, but Gutierrez became angry with the victim’s offering. He ordered the victim to give him everything, including his jacket, wallet, and keys, as Gutierrez pulled a gun from a thermal backpack, prosecutors said. The victim complied, then ran away when Gutierrez threatened to shoot him.

As the victim ran for help, Gutierrez crashed the Mitsubishi into another vehicle and sped away.

When Chicago cops found the car on the Far South Side later that day, Guitierrez was behind the wheel, wearing the same clothes as the carjacker, prosecutors said. The police said they also found a fake gun inside a thermal backpack inside the vehicle.

Less than a year before the carjacking, in November 2021, Gutierrez received a six-year sentence for a vehicular hijacking he committed three years earlier. After receiving the state’s standard 50% sentence reduction and credit for time spent in jail before pleading guilty, he didn’t spend a single day in prison, according to Illinois Department of Corrections records.

Similarly, his 10-year sentence for the Uptown carjacking will be halved for good behavior. He also earned 259 days of credit while in jail. His parole date is set for September 17, 2027.

About CWBChicago 6362 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com