CHICAGO — Three teenagers are each charged with up to a dozen counts of robbery after they went on a Saturday afternoon crime spree, Chicago police said. They’re even accused of committing one robbery while a Chicago Police Department helicopter unit was watching them from above.
CPD said a 17-year-old boy is charged with eleven counts of armed robbery with a firearm and one count of attempted armed robbery with a firearm. He also had an outstanding warrant. A 16-year-old boy faces the same counts plus a felony gun possession charge. And a 15-year-old boy is charged with ten counts of armed robbery with a firearm and one count of unlawful possession of a handgun.
The robbery spree began around 1:30 p.m. in the 1800 block of West Race. Four masked robbers exited a gray car with a broken side window, robbed a 27-year-old man at gunpoint, and then drove away.
A short time later, they struck again in the 2000 block of South May, robbing two men and pistol-whipping one of them.
In the first block of South Aberdeen, they fired a gun while robbing a 23-year-old woman around 2:20 p.m., according to a CPD report. No injuries were reported, but police did recover a shell casing at the scene.
According to Chicago police, the group also robbed:
- a 41-year-old man in the 2400 block of South Wentworth
- two men, ages 60 and 53, in the 1400 block of West 56th Street
- three men, ages 55, 46, and 24, in the 300 block of East 48th Street
CPD’s helicopter unit began tracking the crew’s car shortly after those robberies as the group headed toward downtown. At 3:15 p.m., the helicopter crew radioed that they saw the group committing another robbery in the 2100 block of South State. Police said a 44-year-old woman was robbed there.
All three juveniles bailed out of the car as cops moved in in the 1100 block of South Clark around 3:20 p.m., but police rounded them all up.
At least three other robberies were committed in West Town at the time of yesterday’s spree, but CPD did not announce any charges in connection with these:
Two armed men robbed three people in the 1800 block of West Grand around 1:40 p.m.
Around 1:45 p.m., a man was robbed at gunpoint near Grand and May by two gunmen who jumped out of a white SUV. Moments later, a group of movers was robbed while working in the 1300 block of West Ohio.
Here is some of our recent coverage of the city’s ongoing robbery spree problem:
- 8 people robbed in 30 minute spree from Wicker Park to Logan Square (September 2, 2023)
- Man charged with 5 North Side robberies was supposed to be on electronic monitoring for Class X felony gun case: court records (August 31, 2023)
- State police pursue, arrest suspect in West Ridge armed robbery sprees (August 31, 2023)
- Armed men robbed 2 bars and their customers overnight, Chicago police say (August 31, 2023)
- Boys, ages 15 and 16, charged with Wicker Park, Logan Square robberies: Chicago police (August 29, 2023)
- Police arrest 1 robbery crew, but another hit the streets overnight as crime stats soar (August 29, 2023)
- Video: Armed robbery crew claims 3 victims in 25 seconds at Logan Square auto shop (August 28, 2023)
- TV news crew robbed while reporting on Chicago robbery sprees; armed men targeted at least 30 people in about 12 hours (August 28, 2023)
- Surveillance pix show armed men robbing Logan Square auto shop (August 27, 2023)
- Good news: Chicago cops have captured a prolific armed robbery crew, but at least 2 more are still on the job (August 27, 2023)
- Shot fired during Wicker Park robbery as holdup sprees continue (August 24, 2023)
- At least 23 armed robberies reported Sunday as Chicago cops again see a robbery in progress, but don’t chase the offenders (August 21, 2023)
- The armed holdups keep happening, but the robbers may be changing the script (August 18, 2023)
- Chicago cops watch armed robbery in progress, but supervisor orders them NOT to chase the criminals; at least 11 people robbed in overnight spree (August 16, 2023)
- Armed men rob at least 11 people in 2-hour crime spree, Chicago police say (August 13, 2023)
- 3 suspects detained after Thursday afternoon robbery sprees in Logan Square, West Side (August 11, 2023)
- 2 robbed, 1 shot in about 20 minutes overnight (August 10, 2023)
- At least 13 people robbed in overnight spree; Troopers chase suspects, seize AK-47, but no arrests announced (August 9, 2023)
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)