Chicago police officers are being warned about an extremely violent group of men that investigators believe is responsible for killing two victims during separate armed robberies this week. The crew has been active in West Town, Back of the Yards, Lawndale, and other areas of the city.
The department began warning officers about the crew on Wednesday afternoon during roll calls and via periodic broadcasts on police radio channels.
According to information shared with officers, the group has been getting around in a white Kia Forte stolen Monday in North Riverside.
Late that night, at least two masked men who stepped out of that car shot and killed a 45-year-old man sitting in a pickup truck in the 1600 block of West 47th Street.
The victim was shot repeatedly on the left side of his body, and his wallet and phone were missing when cops arrived at the scene, according to an initial CPD report.
Investigators believe the same car was used by armed, masked men who robbed another man near Fulton and Maplewood in West Town around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. He was not injured.
But about 15 minutes later, the second murder occurred in the 1600 block of North Lawndale.
Chicago police said two armed men exited a white sedan to rob a 50-year-old woman. The offenders shot and killed a 48-year-old man who intervened in the robbery and escaped without taking anything from the victims, police said in a media statement.
Cops are being warned to use extreme caution if they cross paths with the Kia.
The second murder occurred about a half-mile from 16th and Drake, an area that has served as an operating base for armed robbery crews for at least two years, according to a law enforcement source.
In September 2022, CWBChicago published two stories about an attorney who decided to launch his own investigation after a woman he knew was robbed during a holdup spree in Lakeview. After combing social media accounts, electronic money transfers, and other evidence, he determined that the robbers were also working out of 16th and Drake.
While police have made arrests, including two people in the Earley case, the robbery crews continue to operate, seemingly able to quickly replace lost members with new blood.
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street hold-ups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)