CHICAGO — At least six people were robbed at gunpoint during a ten-minute robbery spree in the Medical District this morning. Earlier, a would-be carjacker’s handgun fired when he struck a victim in the head with it in West Town, according to Chicago police.
This morning’s crime spree began around 8:45 a.m. in the 1700 block of West Harrison. Two women were walking near Rush Hospital when two masked men stepped out of a stolen car with guns to rob them.
The car, a black Kia SUV with a broken rear side window, was reported stolen yesterday, according to CPD records.
Similar robberies involving the same vehicle were soon reported outside Stroger Hospital and in the 800 block of South Wolcott. Three people more people were robbed at gunpoint outside Washington Irving Elementary School, 749 South Oakley, according to two separate CPD reports.
In each case, the robbers were described as two Hispanic or Black males wearing face masks and black clothing.
Chicago police are also investigating a carjacking attempt in the 700 block of North Leavitt around 1:45 a.m. Monday.
A 38-year-old man was inside a vehicle when two men approached on opposite sides of the vehicle, according to a CPD spokesperson. They ordered him to get out of the vehicle. He complied after the man on the passenger side broke one of the vehicle’s windows, police said.
Once he was out of the vehicle, the other offender began to beat him, and the carjacker’s gun fired after he hit the victim with it in the head. According to CPD, the bullet missed everyone.
Both carjackers fled with the victim’s property in a black sedan, but they did not take his vehicle.
Police are also investigating two holdups within minutes of each other just west of downtown. In one incident, three men robbed a man at gunpoint in the 700 block of South Jefferson around 7:20 p.m. Another victim was robbed at gunpoint by three men near Adams and Clinton around 7:44 p.m.
Another round of robberies occurred between about 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday morning. It began around 5:10 a.m. when armed robbers stepped out of a dark sedan to rob a victim near Armitage and Kimball.
About 15 minutes later, a concealed-carry license holder was carjacked at gunpoint in the 2600 block of West Chrystal. He reported that three men with laser-equipped guns took his white 2017 GMC Acadia. The crew also got away with his handgun, which was inside the vehicle, according to a police report.
Finally, three men wearing face masks jumped out of a dark-colored sedan to rob a victim in the 2200 block of West Erie.
Robbery reports across Chicago are up 25% this year and up 33% compared to 2019. Some areas are experiencing even more significant increases, particularly on the Near West Side.
The Shakespeare (14th) District, based in Logan Square and serving neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, and part of Humboldt Park, has experienced a 56% increase in robberies this year. Reports are up 109% from 2019.
In the Near West (12th) District, which includes areas from Humboldt Park to the West Loop, robberies have increased 58% this year. They’re up 82% compared to 2019.
Robbery sprees have been popping up several times a week, with West Town, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square particularly hard-hit. Our reporting has been exhaustive, but here are some recent stories:
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street hold-ups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)