Chicago police confirm that a 14-year-old boy is being charged with six counts of robbery in connection with a Tuesday morning robbery spree in Logan Square and nearby neighborhoods. We first told you about his arrest hours after cops took him into custody in the 1500 block of South Christiana.
The boy was part of a group that traveled around in a black SUV, stopping to rob people on the street, police said. Six people were robbed in four incidents, starting just before 10 a.m.
A 42-year-old woman was targeted in the first robbery outside PNC Bank, 2300 North Western Avenue.
Surveillance camera footage of the second robbery shows a 66-year-old man walking down the street when a black SUV stopped, backed up, and cut him off at an alley. Robbers jumped out of the vehicle, took his property, and drove away.
A 51-year-old man and a second man whose age was not released were robbed during the third holdup outside PNC Bank at 3820 West Belmont.
Finally, around 10:20 a.m., a 62-year-old man and a 70-year-old woman were robbed at gunpoint in the 200 block of North Maplewood.
Chicago police arrested the 14-year-old about an hour later in a neighborhood that has long been known to be an operating hub for armed robbery crews.
In September 2022, CWBChicago published two stories about an attorney who decided to launch his own investigation after a woman he knew was robbed during a holdup spree in Lakeview. After combing social media accounts, electronic money transfers, and other evidence, he determined that the robbers also worked out of 16th and Drake.
While police have made arrests, including two people in the Earley case, the robbery crews continue to operate, seemingly able to quickly replace lost members with new blood.
Barely 12 hours after the boy was arrested on Tuesday, another robbery spree swept across Logan Square and Bucktown, claiming at least six more victims.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Bucktown, Logan Square slammed with more robberies overnight (October 25, 2023)
- 14-year-old detained after another robbery spree hits Logan Square (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)