CHICAGO — Two men were shot on Sunday morning after they successfully tracked down a robbery crew that mugged their relatives, only to have the offenders open fire on them, according to a Chicago police report.
Cops responded to several calls of armed robberies being carried out Sunday morning in Pilsen by up to four masked men armed with multiple firearms who traveled in a Kia Soul.
Two victims were robbed in the 1800 block of West 21st Street around 6:45 a.m. Following that, there was an attempted robbery in the 1900 block of South Blue Island. Another couple was robbed in the 1100 block of West 18th Place, followed by another robbery in the 1300 block of West Cullerton.
At about 7 a.m., a 64-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman were robbed by three gunmen in the 1600 block of South Miller Street, according to a Chicago police report. CPD said the crew pistol-whipped the woman, took property from both victims and fled in the Kia Soul.
Two relatives of the victims who were robbed on Miller Street decided to track down the offenders.
Within minutes, they found the Kia Soul and the robbers in the 3700 block of South Ashland. Their plan quickly went sideways when the robbers opened fire on them, according to a CPD report.
Police said an “unknown number of offenders” shot a 44-year-old man in the elbow and torso and shot a 19-year-old man in the thigh. A ShotSpotter detected 12 rounds fired at the scene. Both victims were taken to Stroger Hospital in fair condition.
The Chicago police media statement did not reveal that the victims were shot while hunting down a robbery crew. CPD reports provided to CWBChicago, however, confirm that information.
According to one report, the older shooting victim is the son of the female robbery victim, while the younger victim is the victim’s grandson.
The victims targeted during the robbery spree offered differing descriptions of the offenders. No arrests have been made.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Robbery, carjacking crews return to Logan Square and West Town; at least 12 victims in latest sprees (October 29, 2023)
- Robberies up 140% since alderman announced “concrete and collaborative plan” to stop them (October 27, 2023)
- West Town community groups call on city, county to take action on surging violent crime (October 26, 2023)
- Boy, 14, robbed 6 people in Tuesday morning crime spree: Chicago police (October 25, 2023)
- Bucktown, Logan Square slammed with more robberies overnight (October 25, 2023)
- 14-year-old detained after another robbery spree hits Logan Square (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)