Career burglar who did time for stealing Newport cigarettes is accused of burglarizing a Chicago Walgreens to take Newport cigarettes

Michael Coleman | Chicago Police Department; Flickr

CHICAGO — A career burglar who recently served eight years for burglarizing a North Side liquor store of cash and 19 packs of Newport cigarettes is now facing the possibility of more prison time. Prosecutors say he took 16 packs of Newport cigarettes during a burglary at a West Loop Walgreens.

But authorities will have to locate Michael Coleman first. A judge released him to await trial, and he failed to show up in court six days later.

In October 2014, Chicago police arrested Coleman at the Irving Park Brown Line station shortly after he tossed a brick through the glass of a nearby liquor store. He entered the shop and took $1,089 in cash and 19 packs of Newports, prosecutors said.

He pleaded guilty less than 30 days later and received an eight-year sentence, a stiff penalty he received due to his criminal background. That background includes a six-year sentence for burglary in 2009 and eight years for multiple burglaries in 2005, according to court records.

Last month, cops responded to Walgreens, 1051 West Randolph, after a security company saw a burglar break the front window and crawl inside around 1 a.m., a CPD report said.

The prowler went behind the counter, took 16 packs of Newports, and escaped through the back door.

Officers spotted Coleman, 52, walking in the traffic lanes near Madison and Sangamon. Working from information provided by the store’s security officer, cops wrote that Coleman “fit [the] description exactly.” Although he was not wearing the burglar’s surgical mask or baseball hat.

The police searched Coleman’s backpack and found 15 packs of Newports, a surgical mask, and a baseball cap, CPD’s report said. A 16th pack of Newports was allegedly found in his pocket.

Judge Barbara Dawkins released Coleman on September 15. Another judge issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to show up in court on September 21.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 4275 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com