CHICAGO — A concealed carry license holder exchanged gunfire with armed robbers in Humboldt Park overnight, Chicago police said. The shootout came at the end of two robbery sprees that hit the neighborhood and nearby Bucktown between 9 p.m. and midnight Saturday.
The first string of crimes began around 9:20 p.m. with a carjacking in Bucktown.
A food delivery driver was in his car in the 1700 block of West Wabansia when two hijackers pulled up next to him in a black Jeep, according to police.
The carjackers forced him out of his silver Toyota Prius, then drove away with his car and the Jeep.
Two more robberies were reported within minutes.
A couple told police they were held up at gunpoint in the 1600 block of North Leavitt by three men who traveled in a black sedan. The men took a purse, phone, and wallet.
In Humboldt Park, two victims were robbed at gunpoint in the 1500 block of North Artesian by three masked men who traveled in a silver sedan. They told police the men took two phones, keys, and a wallet.
The second spree began in Bucktown about two hours later, at 11:33 p.m. in the 1600 block of North Wolcott. Two women, ages 28 and 22, were walking to their car when two men got out of a silver sedan to rob them at gunpoint, according to Chicago police.
Things started to escalate with the next robbery, which occurred in the 3500 block of West Pierce around 11:55 p.m.
Police said a 26-year-old man was exiting his car when a silver sedan pulled up, and three men got out with handguns. The crew chased the victim, struck him in the face, and took his property. He suffered minor injuries and refused medical attention, police said.
Moments later, a 24-year-old concealed carry holder was standing outside of a vehicle in the 3300 block of West Beach when he saw two men get out of a silver sedan. He saw the men pull out firearms and open a woman’s car door nearby, police said.
Police said the robbers shot at the concealed carry holder when he tried to intervene in the robbery. He returned fire, and a shootout ensued, according to CPD. No injuries were reported, but the offenders left a gun behind and crashed their getaway car, a stolen 2018 Hyundai. They may have fled the area on foot.
CPD did not release descriptions of the suspects.
Robbery reports are up 25% from last year in Chicago. They’re up 36% compared to 2019.
The real story, though, is what’s happening in the areas where last night’s sprees occurred.
Robberies are up 58% this year in CPD’s Shakespeare (14th) District and up 114% versus 2019, according to the police department’s latest statistics report. Based in Logan Square, Shakespeare’s officers serve nearby neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, and part of Humboldt Park.
Next door, in the Near West (12th) District, which includes areas from Humboldt Park to the West Loop, robberies have increased by 63% this year. They’re up 95% compared to 2019.
Just west of the 12th District, the Grand Central (25th) District is even worse, with robberies up 129% from 2022 and 111% compared to 2019.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)