CHICAGO — A street fight turned into a shoot-out that left eight people wounded in River North overnight, Chicago police say. Four of the victims are in critical condition.
Officers responded to the 300 block of West Erie for reports of shots fired and people shot at 2:37 a.m.
Witnesses told CWBChicago that a large group was fighting on the street and in a nearby parking lot before the shooting began. Officers at the scene reported seeing shell casings along a full block of Erie Street, from Franklin all the way to Orleans.
A portion of the incident was posted online.
One shooting victim ran into a nearby nightclub, and others were found on the street.
Still others transported themselves to hospitals, including one who arrived at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in a white BMW. Police found a firearm in the vehicle, and investigators were working to determine if the injured man fired any shots.
According to a CPD media statement, the wounded are:
- a man of unknown age who was shot in the head. He is at Northwestern in critical condition.
- a 43-year-old woman shot in the abdomen. She is critical at Stroger Hospital.
- a man of unknown age with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. He is critical at Northwestern.
- a 27-year-old woman with a gunshot wound to her foot. She’s in good condition at Northwestern.
- a 25-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the groin. He is in good condition at Northwestern.
- a 27-year-old man with gunshot wounds throughout his body. Police said his condition stabilized at Northwestern.
- a 23-year-old woman shot in the foot. She is in good condition at Stroger.
- a 32-year-old man with gunshot wounds throughout the body. He is in critical condition at Stroger.
The victims are the 15th through 22nd people shot in River North this year. That compares to 23 people shot at this point last year, 14 by this date in 2021, and 11 in 2020.