Chicago police are investigating eight robberies reported within 90 minutes Saturday morning, mainly in Logan Square and Humboldt Park. The same crew is suspected in all of those holdups.
While that spree was underway, another victim reported that a group of men armed with a baseball bat took his dog in Austin.
At about 11:45 a.m., a woman was tracking her freshly stolen Hyundai when it pulled up to a man and his dog in the 1700 block of North Monitor. The men threatened him with a baseball bat, took his puppy, and drove away.
He posted a picture of the dog on the Ring network Saturday afternoon, saying the robbers were four Black males between 14 and 20 years old in the white Hyundai Elantra.
Apparently unrelated to that crime is a series of holdups that began around 11 a.m.
Just before 11 a.m., a witness reported that two men got out of a car, put on masks, and drove away in a different car near Kilpatrick and Diversey.
The car they drove away, a gray Ford Fusion reported stolen from the 1700 block of West Divison, was used in a string of robberies that began within minutes.
Starting in the 3000 block of North Kolmar, two or three Black males, thin, in their teens or early 20s, dressed in black, and armed with two guns, committed robbery after robbery.
The second holdup occurred in the 4000 block of West Crystal around 11:15.
About 10 minutes later, the Fusion’s passenger got out with a gun and robbed a man in the 1900 block of North Francisco.
Then, at 11:30, two neighbors were robbed in the 2400 block of West Moffat.
After taking out the trash, one man stopped to talk with his neighbor when the crew pulled up and robbed them.
By noon, additional robberies were reported in the 1900 block of North Washtenaw, the 1500 block of North Campbell, and the 2000 block of West Fulton.
The final robbery of the spree occurred a little after noon in an alley behind the 2400 block of West Thomas. Once again, more than one person was victimized there.
Robbery reports citywide are up 25% this year and up 37% compared to 2019, according to the latest CPD statistics report, published Monday.
Things are much worse in the three districts where Saturday’s robberies occurred.
The west end of the area is in the Grand Central (25th) District. Robberies there are up 138% versus last year and up 122% from 2019.
Next door, in the Near West (12th) District, which includes areas from Humboldt Park to the West Loop, robberies have increased by 63% this year. They’re up 106% compared to 2019.
Robberies are up 65% this year in CPD’s Shakespeare (14th) District and up 106% versus 2019, according to the police department’s latest stats. Based in Logan Square, Shakespeare’s officers serve nearby neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, and part of Humboldt Park.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Shots fired as robbery crews hit Bridgeport, South Loop on Friday night (November 4, 2023)
- Victim disarmed, fatally stabbed a robbery crew member on Saturday morning, ending a 2-hour crime spree: sources (October 30, 2023)
- 2 men shot after tracking down robbery crew that mugged their relatives: Chicago police reports (October 29,2023)
- Robbery, carjacking crews return to Logan Square and West Town; at least 12 victims in latest sprees (October 29, 2023)
- Robberies up 140% since alderman announced “concrete and collaborative plan” to stop them (October 27, 2023)
- West Town community groups call on city, county to take action on surging violent crime (October 26, 2023)
- Boy, 14, robbed 6 people in Tuesday morning crime spree: Chicago police (October 25, 2023)
- Bucktown, Logan Square slammed with more robberies overnight (October 25, 2023)
- 14-year-old detained after another robbery spree hits Logan Square (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)