CHICAGO — For the first time in several days, an armed robbery spree brokeout Friday evening. Most of the cases were in the South Loop, but two were in Bridgeport, including one that involving shots fired by the offenders, according to a Chicago police report.
Sprees had been an almost daily occurrence in some parts of the city until cops made some recent arrests and a victim fatally stabbed one of the crew members earlier this week.
Friday’s incidents began in the South Loop, where a woman was robbed of her purse and phone in the 2000 block of South Calumet around 8 p.m. Four men, one of whom had dreadlocks, displayed a gun after jumping out of a silver car to rob her.
Another holdup occurred a few minutes later in the 1900 block of South Wabash. Again, four men, possibly in their teens and each displaying a handgun, exited a silver vehicle to rob a man. They kicked him, took his property, and fled.
Four young men or teens jumped out of a car and robbed and carjacked a woman in the 2200 block of South Michigan around 8:35 p.m. Officers at the scene said the crew took her purse and her Kia.
In Bridgeport, robbers pistol-whipped a man and fired shots into the air near Normal Avenue and 28th Street around 8:19 p.m. The robbers were described as four Black males in their mid-teens who traveled in a blue four-door sedan. One of them wore a blue hoodie.
A woman was robbed a couple of minutes earlier in the 900 block of West 37th Street, according to a separate report. Once again, a group of boys who appeared to be in their mid-teens displayed guns after hopping out of a blue car.
Finally, around 8:45 p.m., a woman reported that a group of men put a gun to her head and tried to take her car in the 2100 block of South China Place. The robbery failed.
Chicago police officers pursued a vehicle that they suspected may have been involved in the three most recent crimes, but the stolen blue 2018 Kia managed to slip away.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Victim disarmed, fatally stabbed a robbery crew member on Saturday morning, ending a 2-hour crime spree: sources (October 30, 2023)
- 2 men shot after tracking down robbery crew that mugged their relatives: Chicago police reports (October 29,2023)
- Robbery, carjacking crews return to Logan Square and West Town; at least 12 victims in latest sprees (October 29, 2023)
- Robberies up 140% since alderman announced “concrete and collaborative plan” to stop them (October 27, 2023)
- West Town community groups call on city, county to take action on surging violent crime (October 26, 2023)
- Boy, 14, robbed 6 people in Tuesday morning crime spree: Chicago police (October 25, 2023)
- Bucktown, Logan Square slammed with more robberies overnight (October 25, 2023)
- 14-year-old detained after another robbery spree hits Logan Square (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)