An ‘inability’ to stay away from guns: people on ankle monitors are getting caught with firearms in Chicago, prosecutors say

CHICAGO — A man on electronic monitoring for a pending felony case ran from police, ditched a gun, and barged into a family’s apartment. Ten days after another electronic monitoring participant turned 18, he tossed a gun while running from Chicago cops. Those are just a couple of recent allegations filed by prosecutors in the city.

In one case, 21-year-old Jhaeim King was arrested on September 9 after he allegedly crashed a stolen car on Lake Shore Drive, then ran away and hopped a fence to enter the Taste of Chicago, prosecutors said.

A judge ordered him to pay a $10,000 bail deposit to be released on electronic monitoring.

But Illinois’ cashless bail system kicked in nine days later, and King’s attorney asked Judge Tyria Walton to remove the cash bail requirement. She agreed on October 25 and released him on electronic monitoring with instructions to stay in the house from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. unless he was going to work, school, or doctor’s appointments, according to court records.

King is back in jail today. Chicago police say they saw him toss a loaded handgun with an extended ammunition magazine over a fence in the 2100 block of South Harding around 11:35 a.m. on December 17. King ran into a residential complex with cops hot on his heels, officials said.

Officers found King inside one of the apartments after they forced open the door because a woman was screaming inside, according to King’s arrest report. When the door opened, the cops saw King surrounded by people who lived in the unit, the report said.

Judge Barbara Dawkins detained him to await trial on charges of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and criminal trespass to a residence. Dawkins noted King’s pending stolen motor vehicle case, his two adult gun convictions, and two juvenile adjudications for robbery as reasons for her decision.

Speaking of juveniles…

Prosecutors charged Darien Hall, who turned 18 on November 20, with armed violence in juvenile court in September, a charge that alleges he possessed a firearm and drugs at the same time.

A judge released him on electronic monitoring on October 23 with instructions to stay in the house unless he was either going to school or with his mother, officials said.

His mom wasn’t around when Chicago cops arrested him again during a traffic stop at 8:45 p.m. on November 30. Prosecutors said Hall ran from the car’s back seat and tossed a gun into a gangway as officers chased him.

Judge Maryam Ahmad cited Hall’s “inability” to stay away from guns as one of the reasons she detained him to await trial on the new allegations.

Cook County operates two pretrial electronic monitoring programs. Neither has seen significant increases in usage since cashless bail debuted on September 18.

As of December 8, the most recent date for which data is available, there were 899 users of the electronic monitoring system under the control of Chief Judge Timothy Evans’ office. That’s just 20 more participants than on September 15.

One shift within the court-administered program: fewer participants are on ankle monitors under the Cindy Bischof Law, which allows monitoring of people accused of violating orders of protection. Bischof-related monitoring dropped from 740 defendants to 668 between September 15 and December 8.

The use of the Cook County sheriff’s electronic monitoring program has not changed significantly under cashless bail. About 1,700 people were on sheriff’s department ankle monitors as of November 30, the lowest number since late 2014.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6782 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is