Man accused of pistol-whipping and threatening to kill a robbery victim can await trial on an ankle monitor, judge says

Juan Veguilla | Chicago Police Department

CHICAGO — A Cook County judge rejected a prosecution request to detain a man who’s accused of robbing, pistol-whipping, and threatening to kill a man on the Northwest Side.

Judge Ankur Srivastava said he believed community safety could be assured by placing Juan Veguilla, 36, on electronic monitoring instead of jailing him to await trial.

The robbery in the 47-year-old victim’s garage in the 3200 block of North Narragansett around 10:20 p.m. on August 28. Police only recently arrested Veguilla to face charges.

Prosecutors said he displayed a gun and threatened to kill the victim. After getting the man’s wallet, keys, and phone, Veguilla allegedly fled after striking him twice in the face with a firearm.

He is charged with armed robbery with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and unlawful restraint.

Citing the violent nature of the allegations, prosecutors filed a petition to keep Veguilla detained as a “real and present threat” to safety, according to court records.

Srivastava concluded that an ankle monitor would be sufficient.

About CWBChicago 6329 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com