2 men were part of an armed robbery crew busted Thursday morning, Chicago police say

CHICAGO — Prosecutors have charged two men with robbing a group of victims at gunpoint in Bridgeport on Thursday morning. One of the men, who was AWOL from a pending felony narcotics case, has a significant criminal background and was found not guilty in a murder case one year ago, according to court records.

Chicago police said Dangelo Jackson, 21, and Jaylan Jackson, 18, are each charged with four counts of armed robbery with a firearm in connection with the Bridgeport holdups. Dangelo Jackson is also charged with a felony narcotics possession count. They were due in court for detention hearings on Saturday afternoon.

CPD previously announced that two 16-year-old boys had also been charged with the Bridgeport robberies.

The crew is accused of robbing four men between the ages of 21 and 62 in the 3700 block of South Lituanica around 10:15 a.m. Thursday. Chicago cops partnered with an Illinois State Police aviation unit to track the robbers’ getaway car, a Dodge Durango that had been hijacked in Wicker Park several hours earlier.

Dangelo Jackson (L) and Jaylan Jackson | Chicago Police Department

Officers arrested the Jacksons and the juveniles after they ran from the vehicle in the 2500 block of West Harrison about 20 minutes after the Bridgeport robbery. None of them is accused of participating in the Wicker Park carjacking.

A warrant had been out for Dangelo Jackson’s arrest since September, when he failed to show up for court in a pending manufacture-delivery of heroin case, according to court records.

His background is extensive for a 21-year-old.

In March 2020, prosecutors charged him with murder in the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man on the West Side. He was a juvenile at the time, but prosecutors took the case to adult court.

He was found not guilty on all counts in November 2022 after a bench trial before Judge Angela Munari-Petrone.

About a month after the acquittal, Chicago police arrested Jackson again during a narcotics operation. During a bail hearing on December 10, 2022, prosecutors said cops were monitoring hand-to-hand transactions, and they stopped Jackson. He allegedly had two baggies of suspected heroin and $240 in cash, including some bills that undercover police officers used to buy drugs.

Prosecutors dropped the case on February 6, according to court records.

A few days before prosecutors dropped the narcotics case, Jackson was arrested again after Chicago police said he and three other people ran from a car that had been violently carjacked in Lakeview less than an hour earlier.

The woman was targeted as she returned to her car in a parking garage adjacent to the now-closed Walmart Neighborhood Market, 2844 North Broadway, around 6:15 p.m. on January 31.

Prosecutors said two men confronted the woman; one threw her to the ground and tried to choke her, while the other displayed a gun and yelled, “Give me the car keys, b**ch, or I’m going to kill you!”

The two hijackers drove away with her Audi Q7.

Less than an hour later, Chicago police officers located the car in traffic. Four people ran from the vehicle. Prosecutors said during Jackson’s bail hearing that he kicked in the back door of a stranger’s apartment as he ran from police.

During the bail hearing, a prosecutor said Jackson was adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile for possessing a stolen motor vehicle and illegal gun possession in 2019, carjacking in 2019, and possessing a stolen motor vehicle in 2016. The prosecutor said Jackson was sentenced to juvenile corrections for the latter two cases.

A 15-year-old boy was charged with carjacking the woman in Lakeview, but Jackson was only charged with misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass to a vehicle and trespassing.

Court records show prosecutors dropped the entire case on June 28, the day it was scheduled for a bench trial.

In the interim, prosecutors re-filed the narcotics charge they dropped in February. According to court records, Jackson failed to show up for court on September 8, and a warrant has been out for him since October 11.

You can support CWB Chicago’s court coverage by subscribing or making a one-time contribution. Click here.

About CWBChicago 6336 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com