Man accused of carjacking and gun possession is released on an ankle monitor after judge rejects prosecutors’ detention request

Cedric Johnson | Chicago Police Department; Multiplottr

CHICAGO — A man accused of carjacking a 55-year-old woman in River North will be released on an ankle monitor after a Cook County judge rejected a prosecutor’s request to have him detained as a public safety threat.

The woman was outside her car in the first block of West Hubbard when a man jumped behind the wheel and drove away, knocking her to the ground and causing a head injury, around 3:15 p.m. on December 23, according to a Chicago police report.

Less than an hour later, Chicago police officers saw the woman’s BMW X1 speeding near the 6300 block of South Normal. They soon found the vehicle crashed on a nearby side street.

Two witnesses told cops they saw a man run from the BMW’s driver’s seat holding a firearm, according to the police report. Officers followed the driver’s route and soon crossed paths with 18-year-old Cedric Johnson on the rear porch of a boarded-up, abandoned home, the report continued. Like the driver, Johnson was wearing black clothing.

The cops also found a loaded handgun with an extended ammunition magazine under the porch steps, prosecutors said.

Investigators located CPD surveillance video that showed Johnson standing across the street from the carjacking scene about two minutes before the BMW was taken, officials said.

Citing the violent nature of the carjacking, the allegations that police found a gun near Johnson, and the fact that Johnson was adjudicated delinquent for robbery as a juvenile, prosecutors ask Judge William Fahy to keep Johnson in custody during a detention hearing on Christmas Day.

Fahy rejected that idea and sent Johnson home on an ankle monitor instead.

He’s charged with vehicular hijacking and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6336 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com