Man accused of sexually assaulting 2 women he met in Chicago bars gets probation

Jorge Acevedo | Chicago Police Department

CHICAGO — A Lakeview man has been sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to sexually abusing two women he met in bars between 2014 and 2019. Prosecutors brought charges against Jorge Acevedo, 46, in January 2022, but the victims filed reports with Chicago police years earlier.

The first victim, a 23-year-old woman, told police in December 2014 that she went to a bar and woke up in Acevedo’s apartment on the 900 block of West Belmont with him lying on top of her naked, according to a Chicago police report filed in December 2014.

The report said she went to a hospital for treatment, where a sexual assault evidence kit was collected. It also said she identified Acevedo by name and picked him out of a photo line-up.

For reasons that are not clear, Acevedo was not charged for another seven years.

In the interim, a second woman filed a complaint against Acevado. The 24-year-old told police she was out drinking for a celebration on September 22, 2019, when she realized she was in a white car that she did not recognize.

She later woke up alone and naked in Acevedo’s apartment on the 3100 block of North Cambridge, not knowing where she was or how she got there, the report continued.

The woman told investigators that she remembered having sex with Acevedo, and she went to Rush Hospital for a criminal sexual assault examination and evidence collection, the report said.

DNA testing of both sexual assault kits linked the two cases, according to CPD records.


Acevedo, now 46, faced kidnapping and criminal sexual assault charges in both cases but recently reached a plea deal with prosecutors.

Under the agreement, Acevedo was allowed to plead guilty to a reduced charge of criminal sexual abuse in exchange for a two-year probation sentence, according to court records. He must also register as a sex offender for two years.

Judge Adrienne Davis oversaw the case and sentencing.

Acevedo has been on electronic monitoring since posting bail shortly after the charges were filed.

About CWBChicago 6330 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com