One-man crime wave: He raped one woman, kidnapped and robbed 3 people, then died after crashing into a Chicago police squad car overnight, officials say

CHICAGO — A man died in a car crash overnight after going on a violent crime spree inside a South Loop condo building where he sexually assaulted a woman, robbed others, and even kidnapped three victims, two of whom were in the car with him when he slammed into a Chicago police squad car, officials said.

One woman was robbed at knifepoint at the building in the 1500 block of South Wabash shortly after midnight. The robber took her purse, keys, and phone.

About two hours later, shortly after 2:30 a.m., police responded to calls of a man threatening to rob people at knifepoint inside the residential building.

The man, who has not been identified, first battered and sexually assaulted a 48-year-old woman at knifepoint inside the building, according to a CPD news release. An internal bulletin distributed within the police department said the victim was an off-duty police officer who was assaulted inside an elevator.

Two 27-year-old women came upon the assault in progress, and the assailant forced all three women into a condo at knifepoint, the news release said. A 27-year-old man entered the residence while the robbery was unfolding, police said, and the assailant robbed him, too, according to CPD.

At about this time, the woman who was sexually assaulted escaped and took herself to Rush Hospital for treatment. The police said she was in fair condition.

The man then forced both 27-year-old women and the man into a Volkswagen Jetta owned by one of the women and drove to a Subway restaurant in the 700 block of West 31st Street. He forced the man into the restaurant and took money from the register at knifepoint. Police said the attacker slashed a 36-year-old man’s shoulder inside the restaurant, but that victim declined medical attention.

Police said the male kidnapping victim remained inside the restaurant while the offender returned to the Volkswagen and sped away.

Within moments, the man slammed into a marked Chicago police squad car, but he continued driving until he crashed into a field in the 3000 block of Pitney. The vehicle rolled into the field, ejecting the assailant, who was found dead about 20 feet from the Volkswagen, according to a CPD crash report.

The report says the kidnapper lost control of the car after hitting a curb and “continued uncontrollably through a metal fence, then rolling an unknown number of times in the empty unpaved lot.

The two women, who were still inside the wreckage when police arrived, are in good condition at Stroger Hospital, police said.

Detectives continue to investigate the crimes.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6876 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is