Man teamed up with 17-year-old to rob Lawndale man at gunpoint: prosecutors

CHICAGO — Prosecutors say a man with an extensive juvenile criminal history, who’s currently on probation for auto theft, teamed up with a 17-year-old to physically attack and rob another man at gunpoint this week.

Judge Susana Ortiz ordered Brian Davis, 19, jailed to await trial during a detention hearing on Friday afternoon.

Officials said Davis and a 17-year-old boy confronted a man outside the victim’s home in the 2400 block of West Taylor around 5:45 a.m. on Wednesday. They had never met the 28-year-old before.

Davis and the boy both pointed guns at the man and ordered him to turn over his phone, backpack, and wallet, prosecutors said. At least one of them struck the man in the face with a handgun, breaking his glasses, before leaving the scene.

The man called 911 and started tracking his phone, which pinged just a couple of blocks away from the robbery scene. Cops went to that location and saw Davis and the teenager. Both of them ran when the police got out to talk with them, according to a CPD arrest report.

The police chased them down. Prosecutors said they both ditched loaded firearms as they tried to run away. Davis also tossed the victim’s phone, which officers recovered after making the arrests, the arrest report said.

Prosecutors charged Davis with armed robbery with a firearm, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. The juvenile is charged with armed robbery with a firearm and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a person younger than 21.

Brian Davis | Chicago Police Department

Judge Ortiz pointed to Davis’ criminal history as one of the reasons she detained him. His track record includes adjudications of delinquency in 2022 for two carjackings and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, officials said.

Davis also pleaded guilty to possessing a stolen motor vehicle in adult court on October 23. Judge Charles Burns sentenced him to 24 months probation. Davis violated his probation within a month by testing positive for THC, according to court records. He also failed to attend court on December 13, prompting Burns to issue an arrest warrant.

About CWBChicago 6769 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com