Carjacker identified through surveillance video — and GPS data from the electronic monitoring bracelet he was wearing: prosecutors

CHICAGO — A suburban man awaiting trial for a felony weapons charge is now accused of carjacking another driver during a road rage confrontation in Chicago, prosecutors said, citing GPS data from the man’s electronic monitoring ankle bracelet.

Robert Bray, 33, of Evergreen Park, was charged in September with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, according to court records. He appeared in court for a bond hearing on September 17, the last day of the cash bail system in Illinois, and went home on an ankle monitor after posting a $500 deposit.

During a recent detention hearing, prosecutors said he was still wearing the monitor when he got into a minor traffic crash in the 100 block of East 47th Street around 4 p.m. on January 2. Bray got out of his car and “aggressively” approached the other driver, threatening him and demanding money, according to the state’s detention petition.

Bray allegedly snatched the other driver’s phone away and told his passenger to steal the other driver’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. Prosecutors said the passenger followed instructions and drove away with the man’s SUV. The man remains at large.

Robert Bray | Chicago Police Department

Meanwhile, Bray pushed the 29-year-old victim against a wall, where he proceeded to “choke and strangle” the victim, said the petition.

The entire incident was recorded by a Chicago Police Department surveillance camera, which also recorded Bray’s license plate information.

Armed with the video, Bray’s ankle monitor location information, and the victim’s selection of Bray in a photo line-up, cops arrested Bray at his home last Friday.

He is charged with vehicular hijacking and robbery. Judge Maryam Ahmad, the same judge who released him on the ankle monitor in September, ordered him detained as a public safety threat.

Court records show Bray received a five-year sentence for aggravated battery of a peace officer in 2017 and 30 months for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in 2021. Prosecutors dropped an escape from electronic monitoring charge that same year. In 2019, a jury found him not guilty of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6329 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com