CHICAGO — Citing a “lack of impulse control,” a judge has ordered a Chicago man detained as a safety threat after prosecutors accused him of shooting two people during a road rage incident in Humboldt Park last week.
Officials said that a 27-year-old man was driving with a 29-year-old female passenger when he needed to change lanes in the 3300 block of West Grand around 8:50 a.m. on Tuesday, January 16.
As the man sped up to get past another vehicle, the woman saw the other driver wave a firearm. The other driver fired one shot into the victims’ car, shattering the back window, prosecutors said in a court filing.
The woman called 911 as the man guided their car behind the gunman’s vehicle. At that point, the assailant fired another shot into the victims’ car. That bullet grazed the driver’s left knee and struck the woman’s right knee, prosecutors said. She was taken to Humboldt Park Health for treatment. He declined medical attention.
Prosecutors said the woman gave the gunman’s license plate number to a 911 operator. Chicago cops tracked the vehicle to its leaseholder and learned that her son, 30-year-old Brian Carter, was driving her car at the time of the shooting, according to officials.
Carter allegedly admitted to the shooting, saying he feared for his life, according to a CPD arrest report.
Judge Ankur Srivastava granted the state’s detention petition.
Carter has no other arrests in Cook County or CPD records. He is now charged with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm into a vehicle.