2 Innovations High School students slain in the Loop are identified as cops hunt for at least 2 gunmen

Chicago police officers at the scene of a shooting that left two students dead outside Innovations High School in the first block of North Wabash on January 26, 2024. (CWBChicago)

CHICAGO — Two students were shot and killed outside Innovations High School in the Loop on Friday afternoon. Chicago police said the shootings appeared to be targeted.

Officials said Monterio Williams, 17, and Robert Boston, 16, exited the school with a few other students around 12:25 p.m. As they stepped onto the sidewalk in the first block of North Wabash, two cars pulled up. A group of people emerged from the vehicles, and at least two of them began shooting toward the students, police said.

Williams was shot multiple times, and Boston was shot in the chest, according to a CPD media statement. Both boys succumbed to their wounds at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

A bullet also passed through a 25-year-old woman’s coat, but she escaped injury. She studies at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, according to her online presence.

The police did not release descriptions of the suspects or reveal a motive for the shooting.

Some witnesses reported seeing three masked males and a female get out of the shooters’ vehicles:

  • A Black male wearing a black puffy jacket with red stripes across the chest
  • A Black  male wearing faded pants and a black jacket
  • A Black male wearing a red coat
  • A Black female with red braids

They were last seen leaving the area southbound in a dark sedan and and SUV, police said..

Williams and Boston are the second and third homicide victims in the Loop this year. On January 4, 61-year-old Vivian Morgan was beaten to death aboard a Red Line train at the Roosevelt station during an apparent robbery attempt, officials said. Charges have been filed in that case.

The most recent shooting in the Loop before Friday also occurred at the Roosevelt station. On December 16, two men were shot during a “disturbance” on the Red Line, according to police. Charges have also been filed in that case.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6362 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com