Chicago man shot his ex’s boyfriend 2 weeks after being paroled, leaving him partially paralyzed, prosecutors say

CHICAGO — Just two weeks after being paroled, a Chicago man shot his ex-girlfriend’s current boyfriend, leaving the victim paralyzed, prosecutors said this week. But wait until you hear about how officials say they secured his confession.

Vanderk McCondichie, 43, is charged with attempted murder in connection with the December 30 shooting. Chicago police officers arrested him this week.

Prosecutors said he was lying in wait when his ex, her boyfriend, and a third person arrived by car at the couple’s apartment in the 13200 block of South Buffalo around 3:45 p.m. As they pulled up, McCondichie came out of the residence and started yelling at his ex, prosecutors said.

He then pulled out a gun and fired repeatedly at her 31-year-old boyfriend, according to the state’s detention petition. The victim drove a short distance after being shot, then crashed.

Vanderk McCondichie | Chicago Police Department

McCondichie went to the crash site and stole his ex’s phone from her hand as she was calling 911, prosecutors said. That’s where the twist comes in.

Authorities said McCondichie didn’t realize that his girlfriend was in the middle of a 911 call when he took the phone. He confessed to the crime while the line was still connected and was heard admitting what he had done, officials said. He fled before the police arrived.

The victim remains hospitalized at the University of Chicago Hospital. He was shot in the neck, shoulder, and arm. Prosecutors said he is paralyzed on his left side.

Judge Ankur Srivastava detained McCondichie as a public safety threat, citing the 911 confession, witness identifications, the ambush-style attack, and the fact that the shooting occurred near an elementary school.

McCondichie was just released from prison on December 15 after serving half of a 7½-year sentence he received for possessing body armor. He has previous convictions for gun possession and aggravated battery, Srivastava said.

The state is reviewing his parole status in light of the new allegations.

About CWBChicago 6361 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com