Repeat felon fatally shot a man 12 days after posting bail in a felony gun case, prosecutors say

CHICAGO — A Chicago man with a significant criminal history shot and killed another man less than two weeks after he posted bail in a Class X felony gun case last summer, prosecutors say. And, according to the prosecutors, Demell Govan was carrying a stolen firearm when Chicago police arrested him this week to face charges in the murder.

On July 12 last year, Chicago cops said Govan tossed a loaded handgun into a bush as he ran from officers in the 7000 block of South Martin Luther King Drive. Based on his background, which includes convictions for robbery, guns, and narcotics, prosecutors filed a Class X armed habitual criminal case against him.

According to court records, Judge Kelly McCarthy allowed him to go home by posting a $4,500 bail deposit, which he did on July 19.

Just 12 days later, on August 1, Govan met up with friends at an apartment in the 3500 block of South Rhodes, prosecutors said this week. Later, as they left the building, they crossed paths with 31-year-old Glenn Weston.

Prosecutors say surveillance video shows Govan pulling out a handgun and shooting Weston dead in the building lobby. They also pointed to witness identifications and phone location data as evidence that Govan was responsible for the murder.

Demell Govan (Chicago Police Department)

Chicago cops arrested Govan this week. When they did, he was carrying a recently stolen handgun in his backpack, officials said.

He is now charged with first-degree murder and another count of Class X armed habitual criminal.

Judge Barbara Dawkins detained him as a public safety threat at the state’s request.

Govan has faced armed habitual criminal cases twice before. Prosecutors downgraded the charge to being a felon in possession of a firearm, and he received a six-year sentence. He faced another armed habitual criminal case in 2022. Judge Carol Howard found him not guilty on all counts.

He is the 32nd person accused of participating in a murder or attempted murder in Chicago last year while awaiting trial for a felony. The cases involve at least 48 victims. Seventeen of them died.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others awaiting trial for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has brought charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6362 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com