20 years for man who murdered 15-year-old while on electronic monitoring for a gun case

CHICAGO — An Englewood man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for fatally shooting a 15-year-old boy while on an ankle monitor for a pending gun case.

Prosecutors said Damian “Day Day” Coleman shot 15-year-old Marlin Gaines in the 5600 block of South Marshfield on the afternoon of February 2, 2020. Chicago police officers said Coleman was carrying a gun when they arrested him outside his home ten days later.

Police said three people exited an SUV, and at least one of them fired at Gaines, striking him multiple times.

“I’m almost certain it’s going to be something petty,” Gaines’ grandfather told WGN after the murder. “You know, three boys whooped him and shot him seven times… He didn’t deserve that.”

“He had a big heart… Beautiful person.”

Months before the murder, prosecutors charged Coleman with felony unlawful use of a weapon after cops said they found a loaded handgun near his seat during a traffic stop in the 1900 block of West 57th Street. The gun, which had an extended ammunition magazine, had been reported stolen in Lafayette, Indiana, police said.

Damian Coleman and Marlin Gaines (Chicago Police Department, GunMemorial.com)

The next day, Judge John Lyke released Coleman on his own recognizance with an ankle monitor, according to court records. Police executed a search warrant at Coleman’s home two months later and allegedly found suspected narcotics packaging, a digital scale, and a 9-millimeter bullet, but prosecutors quickly dropped the case.

Coleman was back on an ankle monitor when he pulled the trigger, taking Gaines’ life, officials said.

Now 22 years old, Coleman this month pleaded guilty to murder before Judge Ursula Walowski. She meted out the 20-year sentence.

Last April, Coleman pleaded guilty to possessing the firearm that put him on electronic monitoring in the first place. Walowski sentenced him to “first-time weapon offender probation,” which she terminated unsatisfactorily the same day.

About CWBChicago 6552 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com