Man robbed CTA passenger while on probation for his fourth robbery conviction, prosecutors say

CHICAGO — At the age of 21, Christopher Savage has been found guilty of robbery four times, officials say. Now, he’s charged with committing another robbery while on probation for one of his previous robberies.

You may remember that robbery. We wrote about it last March after prosecutors filed charges against him. They said he took about $600 from the register at American Vapor Shop, 917 West Belmont, and fled toward the nearby CTA station on April 24, 2021.

The cashier chased him down, took the money back, and returned it to the register. But Savage came back.

“Where’s the sh*?” he screamed while holding his hand under his jacket as if he had a gun.

He took the money again and left, once again heading toward the CTA station.

At the time of the robbery, Savage was on juvenile probation for robbery, aggravated battery, and violating probation, prosecutors said. Four months after the smoke shop robbery, he was adjudicated delinquent for yet another robbery and received a sentence of 31 months in juvenile detention.

Christopher Savage (Chicago Police Department)

He pleaded guilty to robbery in August and received a sentence of two years probation from Judge Alfredo Maldonado. Court records show he stopped appearing for subsequent court sessions, and Maldonado put out a warrant for his arrest.

While he was on the loose, he allegedly committed another robbery. This one, officials say, was at the 79th Street Red Line platform early on New Year’s Eve.

He choked the victim and threatened to shoot him if he didn’t turn over his valuables, according to court records. He allegedly took the man’s phone, about $120, and fled.

Chicago police officers familiar with Savage identified him from CTA surveillance footage. He was arrested this week at the Roosevelt Red Line platform.

Judge Kelly McCarthy detained him to await trial on a new charge of aggravated robbery.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6554 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com