Carjacker shot a Lyft driver just days after getting out of juvenile detention for another carjacking: prosecutors

CHICAGO — Within days of completing a juvenile detention sentence for carjacking, Deandre Milons shot a Lyft driver during another carjacking attempt, officials say. Chicago cops caught up with Milons three weeks later after he allegedly carjacked yet another driver.

“He is not a candidate for release,” wrote Judge Diana Kenworthy in a detention order that will keep Milons in jail to wait for trial. She underlined “not.” Twice.

Milons was the Lyft passenger when he pulled a gun out and ordered the rideshare driver out of the car in the 7500 block of South Dorchester on July 10, prosecutors told Kenworthy.

Once the driver was out, Milons allegedly racked the slide of his firearm in a threat to shoot the driver. The driver decided to fight.

Fresh out of juvenile jail, Milons shot the 31-year-old during the struggle and fled the scene, according to prosecutors. The victim survived.

Deandre Milons (Chicago Police Department)

Weeks later, on August 1, Milons allegedly carjacked a 28-year-old woman in the 6500 block of South Vernon. Prosecutors said he struck the woman in the head, threatened to shoot her, and demanded her phone and keys. The woman never saw a gun, but she complied.

Chicago cops found her car a little while later. As officers guarded the vehicle and waited for an evidence technician to show up, the victim saw Milons standing on a nearby street corner and realized he was one of the carjackers. The police arrested him.

Prosecutors charged him with vehicular hijacking, and Judge Susana Ortiz detained him the next day, August 2.

Detectives later put Milons’ picture in a photo line-up that they presented to the Lyft driver. He looked the pictures over and identified Milons as the offender.

Prosecutors took the Lyft case to a grand jury, and they recently returned a true bill charging him with multiple counts of attempted murder, attempted armed vehicular hijacking, armed robbery, and gun violations, according to court records.

The case has been assigned to Judge Kenworty, who was already handling the August 1 carjacking case.

During last week’s detention hearing, Kenworthy reviewed Milon’s juvenile record: armed robbery and gun possession in 2021; aggravated domestic battery in 2021; criminal trespass to a vehicle last year; sentenced to juvenile incarceration last January for an armed carjacking.

“At just 18, the [defendant] has an extensive criminal background,” she wrote, underlining extensive twice. “Five violent offenses (all but one involving firearms), & he is only 18… Probation didn’t work. Juvenile court didn’t work. He is not a candidate for release.”

About CWBChicago 6778 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com