Venezuelan migrant got arrested twice in four hours: Chicago police reports

Charlyes Laynesker Velazquez Bolivar (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — A Venezuelan migrant achieved next-level status this week by managing to get arrested by Chicago police twice in about four hours. Arrests of people listing Venezuela as their birthplace soared over 2,500% last year as migrants flooded the city. A number of migrants have been arrested multiple times.

But Charlyes Laynesker Velazquez Bolivar showed ’em how it’s done. On Sunday, he got arrested for allegedly driving without a license or insurance. Then, he got arrested again when he refused to leave the police station lobby upon learning that his car had been towed.

Officers stopped Velazquez-Bolivar in the 2500 block of South Archer around 4:50 a.m. Sunday for a couple of traffic infractions, according to CPD records. That turned into an arrest when cops learned that he didn’t have a license or insurance.

He was released from the Deering (9th) District station by 9 a.m. He showed up in the station lobby a few minutes later, asking about his car, according to his second arrest report of the day. The report said an officer at the front desk gave him the city tow yard address and told him to leave.

Velazquez-Bolivar allegedly refused, even after being asked “several times” to depart.

When the 52-year-old desk officer tried to “escort” him from the building, Velazquez-Bolivar pulled away and hit him in the face, according to the report. The cop did an “emergency takedown” but struck his head on the station’s front glass in the process. A sergeant and another officer jumped in to arrest Velazquez-Bolivar.

He is now charged with felony aggravated battery of a peace officer, three counts of resisting, and criminal trespass to state land.

Judge Charles Beach released him on a court-operated electronic monitoring program with a 7 p.m. curfew.

No Fare

A concerned citizen may have received more than he bargained for when he decided to intervene upon seeing a group of “new neighbors” entering the Harlem Blue Line station without paying.

The 34-year-old Harwood Heights resident told police that he saw Alberto Jose Adrian Rondon, 22, and others trying to enter the station for free around 6:25 p.m. on January 23, according to a CPD arrest report. He decided to “intervene,” the report explains.

During the “intervention,” Adrian-Rondon pulled out a knife and chased the man down Harlem Avenue, the report said. Fortunately for the victim, an Illinois State Police patrol car was stopped nearby. He sought help from the trooper.

Chicago cops arrested Adrian-Rondon a few minutes later. According to his arrest report, part of the alleged incident was caught on city surveillance cameras, but police did not find a knife in Adrian-Rondon’s possession.

He is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6763 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is