Ooops! Gunmen took man’s phone, but not his Apple Watch. Cops used it to track them down.

CHICAGO — Two armed robbers who fired shots while mugging a couple of men in West Town this week took phones from both victims, but they let one man keep his Apple Watch, which Chicago cops used to track them down.

The victims, ages 39 and 52, had just stepped out of an Uber when Esteban Ocampo and Richard Vinet confronted them with two handguns in the 400 block of North Ogden around 1:20 a.m. Wednesday, officials said.

Vinet held the victims at gunpoint and robbed one of them of his wallet and phone, prosecutors said in a detention petition. Ocampo allegedly robbed the other man of his Coach backpack and phone.

Esteban Ocampo (left) and Richard Vinet (Chicago Police Department, PickPik)

Afterward, the petition said, Ocampo fired a revolver twice into the air to “intimidate” the victims. A CPD report said the gun was fired during the robbery to win the victims’ compliance.

As the robbers fled, one victim realized he still had his Apple Watch and used it to call 911. Chicago police officers arrived quickly. They used the man’s watch to track his stolen phone to River North.

Officers found Vinet in the 500 block of North Franklin and Ocampo in the 400 block of North Wells, according to a CPD press release. Prosecutors said Vinet had both victims’ phones. Cops allegedly found the younger victim’s Coach backpack inside Ocampo’s car, which was parked nearby.

Judge Maryam Ahmad detained both men as public safety threats.

They are each charged with two counts of discharging a firearm during an armed robbery. Vinet, also charged with possessing a controlled substance, was released on parole in June after serving about half of the two-year sentence he received for being a felon in possession of a firearm. The Illinois Department of Corrections website listed him as an “absconder” at the time of the robbery.

His previous prison sentences include six years for armed habitual criminal in 2013, two years for aggravated battery of a peace officer or fireman in 2002, and six years for armed robbery in 1995.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6362 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com