Tow truck driver critically injured after opening fire on two competitors who are concealed-carry gun owners: prosecutors

CHICAGO — A tow truck driver opened fire on two competitors over a job, only to learn the hard way that the competitors were armed concealed-carry license holders, according to prosecutors, who have now charged the man with two counts of attempted murder.

David Soto, 33, remains hospitalized, recovering from multiple gunshot wounds he received during the January 31 altercation. He was on felony pretrial release at the time of the allegations, making him the second person charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to shoot someone this year while on felony pretrial release.

In a Chicago Police Department report, officers said Soto got into an argument with the other drivers over a towing assignment in the 4600 block of West Harrison around 10 a.m. Soto left, then returned and began shooting at the other tow drivers, striking one, a 58-year-old man, in the arm, according to the report. The other driver, 36, was not injured.

Both of the drivers he shot at pulled out their own firearms and shot back, striking Soto throughout his body, officials said. Soto fled the scene, but Chicago cops found him at Loyola University Medical Center.

David Soto in 2017 (Chicago Police Department)

The CPD arrest report said Soto is a “documented member of the satan disciple street gang.”

Because he remains hospitalized, state law prohibited Judge Maryam Ahmad from detaining him during an initial court hearing. She continued the state’s detention request.

Soto is already awaiting trial on two counts of aggravated fleeing from Berwyn police. That case was filed in March and was headed toward a bench trial when Soto was shot, according to court records. He posted a $2,000 bail deposit last year to get out of jail in that case.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others awaiting trial for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has brought charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6759 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com