Man on parole for 2 murder cases tried to kill ex-girlfriend’s beau with a machete: prosecutors

CHICAGO — A Chicago man on parole for two separate murder cases forced his way into his ex-girlfriend’s North Side apartment and attacked her new boyfriend with a machete, prosecutors said as they charged him with a fresh attempted murder case.

Marcos Gray, 47, has been detained to await trial by Judge William Fahy, who deemed him a public safety threat, according to court records. State officials are also reviewing Gray’s parole status in light of allegations that he nearly committed his third murder.

Court records show that Gray was sentenced to life in prison for one of his previous murder cases, but that was reduced on appeal after other courts determined that it is unconstitutional to sentence people to life in prison for crimes committed as juveniles.

In Gray’s case, he was convicted of two murders as a juvenile.

Marcos Gray (Chicago Police Department)

First, he was convicted in 1995 of murdering and robbing a Tennessee man who was visiting the Chicago area in March 1993. Prosecutors say Gray shot 20-year-old Edwin Carlock as Carlock dropped off a friend, Melvin Slaughter, on the South Side. There were two women and three children in Carlock’s vehicle when he was killed, according to appellate court records.

During sentencing for that case, officials noted that Gray had previously been arrested for shooting another man. A judge handed him 55 years for the murder and 30 years for the robbery.

Gray was later convicted of participating in the July 3, 1993, murder of Sheilah Doyle, a suburban nurse and mother, during a botched carjacking. He received a life sentence for the murder, but that was later reduced to 60 years, plus 15 years for attempted robbery.

Doyle’s survivors formed a charitable foundation that supports children whose lives are affected by homicide.

And Gray was released from prison on May 27, 2022.

Just last month, on January 22, a state appellate court affirmed Gray’s conviction in the Carlock case. Two days later, on January 24, Gray allegedly tried to kill his ex’s boyfriend with a machete.

The victim, 38, and his girlfriend were sleeping at the girlfriend’s home in the 4800 block of North Monticello when they heard footsteps and the bedroom door swung open around 4 a.m., a CPD report said. Prosecutors say the intruder was Gray, who knew the home’s passcode and used it to get inside.

After kicking in the bedroom door, he lunged at the victim and attacked him with a “large machete” while yelling, “I’m going to kill you,” prosecutors said in court filings. The man grabbed the machete blade and struggled with Gray as the girlfriend called 911.

Gray ended the assault upon hearing the sound of approaching sirens, officials said. The first Chicago police officers on the scene saw him through the kitchen window, covered in blood with his hands in the air, according to their report. They arrested him without further incident.

According to court filings, the victim suffered severe cuts to his hands that required stitches. A tendon in his left pinky finger was also severed.

Prosecutors have charged Gray with attempted first-degree murder, attempted murder during the commission of a forcible felony, home invasion with a dangerous weapon, and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

He is due in court again on February 20.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About Tim Hecke 323 Articles
Tim Hecke is CWBChicago's managing partner. He started his career at KMOX, the legendary news radio station in St. Louis. From there, he moved on to work at stations in Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. Tim went on to build syndicated radio news and content services that served every one of America's 100 largest radio markets. He became CWBChicago's managing partner in 2019. His email address is tim@cwbchicago.com